Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New member, same ol gun ?

Old 09-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New member, same ol gun ?

Let us know how you make out. With t
Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

First thing to do is have a competent smith check the fit of your 30/06. If that is up to snuff the installation of a quality recoil pad (or decellerator if you like that term) whatever a quality smith recommends for proper fit and recoil management. Then...as has been suggested by others before, make sure someone that understands bigbore shooting gives you a few pointers. I'm not trying to suggest you don't know how to shoot hard-kicking guns....I'm only suggesting that there are those that love to shoot and get the big Whump!....they just don't wnat more than is necessary out of any particular gun.
Certain techniques when shooting can make a significant difference, as can fit and properly installed recoil pads.
If you are at least 140 lbs. and your 30/06 weighs at least 7.5 lbs., then the suggestions I have made and others have made might get you to keep that 30/06 and actually save you $$.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Gun Forum...you'll get a great deal of information here.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:25 PM

I would suggest the .270 Winchester in the Browning BAR semi automatic rifle. You will experience a decent reduction in recoil by dropping from the .30-06 Springfieldto the .270 Winchester, and you will experience another decrease in recoil by switching from the bolt action to the semi automatic. With the failsafe bullets or the Barnes triple shock bullets you should have more than enough punch for elk.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Hi and Welcome to the board. I think you may have a big problem on your hands, you said the bolt was lose and the safety was real hard to work, the crack depending on where it is at could also prove to be a pain in the butt. The "relay" you put in the stock is a mercury filled tube called a recoil reducer and the best one out there, (in my opinion) is called a "dead mule" (he kicks no more) This will only add weight to the gun so you may want to stay away from it. Others here have made some excellent suggestions on other guns and calibers to look at. I can only second the 260 or 7-08. I would haveyour .06 looked at by a good gun smith before you shoot it again.