Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

35 Whelen accuracy

Old 09-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 35 Whelen accuracy

I used to shoot only federal premiums , but have heard good things about the remington core bonds LITTLE MAGNUM mentioned from the range master , so I will be giving them a go next time arround . I would think the whelen would be a very accurate round . Double check your mounts , and rings .
Old 09-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scot Gags....hmmm sounds strange......250 yards..250 grains...what velocity..what energy is left at impact....what about the animal......how far will you have to track it...what about the 4-6 inch drop after 100 yards....check some ballistics and info on wound channels and get back to me And dont always rely on manuals.....they sell products too....The best test is at the range and later ...in the field.. Ill say it again... 35whelen good brush gun like a 30-30,or rifled shotgun..Take a poll and see if it would be chosen over a 30.06 for MOOSE..I know the history about the frontiersmen and the deer, elk, and buffalo and the 35 whelen and the 30- 30 Hell I own these guns too . You never hear of how many animals they wounded and never recovered, mamed, missed..History always seems positive What if I tell you that the NATIVESof North America with bow and arrow were more efficient all the way around???..Im not just blowin smoke atcha.. Im just saying back then they had to use what was around...today we have many more options for large game at farther distances....
Hey CHOPPER move up in caliber and save the 35 for smaller creatures
Old 09-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Heeze:

I just want to make sure you aren't confusing the .35 Whelen and the .35 Remington. The Whelen is a .30-06 case necked up to .35, it offers '-06 ballistics with more punch. The .35 Rem with a 220 gr bullet can be loaded to about 1,850 fps with 36 gr of IMR 4064. The Whelen will propela 225 gr bullet at 2,600 fps using55 grof the same powder. 750 fps and almost 20 gr of additional propellant is a pretty significant difference!

The combination above gives over 3,500 ft/lbs at the muzzle andalmost 2,600 at 200 yds in the Whelen.Three inches high at 100 yds leavesyou five inches low at 300 yards. The .35 Remington matches the ballistics you describe, not the Whelen.

Good luck,
CE
Old 09-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

Scot Gags....hmmm sounds strange......250 yards..250 grains...what velocity..what energy is left at impact....what about the animal......how far will you have to track it...what about the 4-6 inch drop after 100 yards....check some ballistics and info on wound channels and get back to me And dont always rely on manuals.....they sell products too....The best test is at the range and later ...in the field.. Ill say it again... 35whelen good brush gun like a 30-30,or rifled shotgun..Take a poll and see if it would be chosen over a 30.06 for MOOSE..I know the history about the frontiersmen and the deer, elk, and buffalo and the 35 whelen and the 30- 30 Hell I own these guns too . You never hear of how many animals they wounded and never recovered, mamed, missed..History always seems positive What if I tell you that the NATIVESof North America with bow and arrow were more efficient all the way around???..Im not just blowin smoke atcha.. Im just saying back then they had to use what was around...today we have many more options for large game at farther distances....
Heck if you think 250 Grain, 250 yards is "strange" toyouthis will really blow your mind 2500 FPS. See the link for the ballistics you have requested.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

Your original quote was "It is a short range brickthrower" now you are changing it to:"Ill say it again... 35whelen good brush gun like a 30-30,or rifled shotgun.."

The Whelen can deliver 2300+ LBS/KE at 250 yards and that is plenty for anything in North America. It also delivers this with a 250 Grain Nosler Partition bullet and shoots flat enough that there is no need to change your point of aim. I own a 06 and would not have any reservations using it on anything but brown bears in North America, but that does not mean I try to convice chopper it is irresponsible to use his Whelen when it is clearly adaquete for the job!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

The link did not keep the ballistics. Here they are

Muzzle 125 250
Velocity 2510 22762055
Energy3497 2877 2345
Path -1.5 +3.0 -3.0

The Nosler Partition has a BC of .446. That is a little better than a 30-30 and slug gun dont you agree?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Umm... Me thinks someone needs to double check what they are reading!! I went into the link just previously posted. I figured in someone is chasing elk at 8000 feet elevation. Here are the numbers for the .35 Whelen with a 250 grain Nosler Partition. This isn't a manual, but from a computer program. Now we all must take what this information says to be probably how it will work, but don't take it for fact until it is actually tested.

Here are the numbers with the .30-06 and a 165 grain Nosler Partition.

Conclusion, the .35 Whelen only drops 2 more inches than does the .30-06 at 300 yards, with a bullet weighing 85 grains MORE!! The energy that the Whelen carries is 300 ft./lbs more at 500 yards!! A "brush gun," brick thrower?" I think NOT!!

Well, that didn't work. I plugged in a B/C of .446 for the .35 and .410 for the .30-06. 200 yard zero, and 8000 feet elevation. I figured 2500 and 2800 fps for each bullet.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Charlie Brown I think you and VaporDog are actually on the same page. The little flags on his post had "BS" on them and think he was disagreeing with the quote.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

Charlie Brown I think you and VaporDog are actually on the same page. The little flags on his post had "BS" on them and think he was disagreeing with the quote.
as stated earlier the quote was probably intended as thinking the subject matter was the .35 Remington.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

you must have things mixed up. the 35 whelen being a necked up 30-06 should be good medicine for anything in north america. should make an awesome moose cartridge. i had a model 70 338 win mag that had copper fouling problems. get some good cleaner and check over every screw and shoot no more than a couple rounds then clean it again. also try a couple different ammo brands. GOOD HUNTIN!

Quick Reply: 35 Whelen accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.