Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle for Bison hunt

Old 09-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rifle for Bison hunt

Very nice rifle you got there. I like the way tou matched the ebony tip with the checkering. Did you do the checkering yourself? That's on thing I really got to work on.
The ebony pigtail is a monkey see-monkey do thing. I saw it somewhere and liked it and it was easy to do with a milling machine. The match with the checkering is totally accidental. Yes I do my own checkering but I didn't intend to match the ebony pigtail....it just happened.

BC....with a bow?.........I fully understand that this is not serious dangerous game hunting. Yes, I have a bow and at 25 yards can hit a target the size of a volleyball but when it comes to sticking something that size I'd like a little more than a bow. The Shilo Sharps thing really has me going.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, for it to be a total accident it sure did turn out nice.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

I always thought if I were to hunt a Bison it would be with a Flinklock in 50 or 58 caliber and a cast lead bullet.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:22 PM
bigcountry

BC....with a bow?.........I fully understand that this is not serious dangerous game hunting. Yes, I have a bow and at 25 yards can hit a target the size of a volleyball but when it comes to sticking something that size I'd like a little more than a bow. The Shilo Sharps thing really has me going.
Well, I understand your feeling. First time I went on a boar hunt, I was hesitate to take a bow. I am glad I did. I ended up using my 44 mag. I know a few that has shot with a bow. And they said they would do it again. But you have to use what you feel comfortable with. I can definatly see being intimidated by the shear size and potenial of the animal. If I could deal with all the meat, I would love to try to stick one with a bow. But would like to have some backup. But by myself, I have trouble eating a moose in a reasonable amount of time.

I have a 45-70 I would also love to experiement with. I would love to see the penetration of the 350gr bullet I am working with. Anyway it goes, have fun.