Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle for Bison hunt

Old 09-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rifle for Bison hunt

Here is an option for under $1000.00

C. Davis
http://www.emf-company.com/sharps-rifle-4.htm
Old 09-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Heck, just fill thatJeffery's case with a blackpowder , add a hard cast 400 grain bullet [8D]and go get that bison!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: C. Davis

Here is an option for under $1000.00

C. Davis
http://www.emf-company.com/sharps-rifle-4.htm
I've had experience with EMF company.....ABSOLUTELY NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ColoradoElk

Hi Vapo:

I would jump all over the chance to use the Jeffery on a bison! As an added bonus, on a 5 year old bull,you will know what to expect if you ever get a whack at a cape buffalo! What kind of rifle is it?

CE
I built it from a 1999 Montana action and a LW barrel. It has fancy bastogne wood, talley swivels and barrel band, NECG banded front sight, Dakota 1/4 rib with london flip sights and stock bolts from Brownells.

There is ebony fittings and a decelerator at the butt...here's some pics.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Vapodog,
I think you have made your choice, but here is another option. Sorry for the continued post, but the thought of a Bison hunt fascinates me.

C. Davis

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,284.html
Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

C. Davis, Thanks for the link. That's interesting.....I wonder if they're better than EMF?

If I ever go that route I'm spending my cash in Big Timber Montana. Those folks really make a great rifle. Right now, however, I have too many rifles as it is.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

C. Davis, Thanks for the link. That's interesting.....I wonder if they're better than EMF?

If I ever go that route I'm spending my cash in Big Timber Montana. Those folks really make a great rifle. Right now, however, I have too many rifles as it is.
Vapodog, please forgive me, I do not mean to be argumentative. I would submit that you do NOT have too many rifles; you MAY have too little gun safe capacity.

By the way, that is one TRULY gorgeous rifle. I'd give a heck of a lot to hunt bison with that. Good hunting - - please post pics of your hunt!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:01 AM
bigcountry

Honestly for an animal like a bison on a Ranch, I would take a bow. I know thats not on your list. Buta bow would be fun and have seen people shoot them with them with complete passthrus. Carry a rifle if you want for backup.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Any caliber that will drop your neighbor's prize bull will easily drop a bison. A 308 with a 180 grain PSP would be my choice.
Heck, a .22 Mag in the forehead on a 2000+ bull, will drop it!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would most definetly take the 404 you have pictured.That would be a fun hunt.

I don't fall into that "traditional" shoot a buffalo with a sharps thinking. Don't you think that if the rifles such as the 404, 458, 416 and the such were available back then that they would have put down the sharps for even better firepower? I do. They were shooting the best available at the time which is what I would do today.

Very nice rifle you got there. I like the way tou matched the ebony tip with the checkering. Did you do the checkering yourself? That's on thing I really got to work on.

Quick Reply: rifle for Bison hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.