Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

50 Cal. rifle(not Muzzleloader)

Old 09-28-2002, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 50 Cal. rifle(not Muzzleloader)

A guy brought one into Cabelas the onther day to trade it in(BMG I think). That gun was huge, I'm guessing between 30-40 lbs. It had a built in carrying handle and tripod. One of my buddies ended up buying it for a grand, before it made it back to the public for sale. The people in the gun library shot them a few times. They said it kocked them back a foot and needed a couple hearing protection devices if you were going to shoot one. The shells are huge. Anybody ever shot one of these?
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 09-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 50 Cal. rifle(not Muzzleloader)

I'm guessing it was a single shot bolt action that you're speaking of, and I haven't ever shot one of them, however, I have a buddy whose dad was Green Beret, then went armory sergeant, but the coolest part about it, he said, was the fact that he got to try out new prototypes, and if it worked ok, he was allowed to keep for use what he got, somehow he was allowed to bring home a 50bmg machine gun (kinda redundant hey?) His isn't like any I've ever seen otherwise, 8" recoilable barrel section, three way switch labeled, "antiload, semi, and full" the antiload makes it work like a bolt action, the semi is like a semiauto, and I've never seen it on full, but I can't imagine that it's still fully auto. The thing is wicked though, my buddy can stand up 5-8" pie plates 6 feet apart at a mile range, and scroll back and forth across them faster than I would if they were 20 feet away with my .22, and never miss!! Accurate as all get out, it has butterfly grips, and stands alone on a tripod, so you don't get any kick unless you put your eye too close to the scope, or lock your elbows, either of which will almost make you cry!! Heck, another thing that'll make you cry is the price of shells!!!

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 03:18 PM

More then likely it was a Barret or an Armalite proably the top two makers of the civilian BMG. Of course both of these gun manafactures make weapons for the military also. I've only shot the .50BMG through the old and reliable M2 while in the military. They are sure fun to shoot and hitting a 50 gallon barrel or military vehicle is quiet easy at very long ranges. The U.S. Military furtherst sniper kill was made with the round out of a M2 in Vietnam at over 2 miles. The guns arn't too cheap though and the ammo even if you reload is quite expensive.

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 09-29-2002, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas had some ammo that was pretty cheap for it. $29.99 for a box of 10. A lot cheaper than I thought you could get them for. And the weird thing is that we also sell .50 cal. dummies for $4.99. It's funny how an empty shell can cost more than a loaded one.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 09-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

TScott,

The sniper you're referring to is the legendary Carlos Hathcock, and the shot was at 2650 yards (1.5 miles) with a Browning M2 .50 in single shot mode with a special scope mount. The target was, if memory serves, a roughly 10 year VC courier riding a bicicle with half a dozen rifles strapped to it. Not wanting to kill such a young boy, and figuring the boy would run away when shot at, his first shot took out the front forks of the bike. However, being that the VC would likely kill his family if he failed to deliver his cargo, he picked the bike back up and tried to wheel it away on one tire. The second shot killed him, dead.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Old 09-30-2002, 09:29 PM

Mike,
You are not accurate with the story of Hathcock. The bike was shot from underneath him, Carlos was going to let him go but the boy took his AK and fed a banana clip, fired wildly. (At 2000 yards NOT 2650, BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!)The late Carlos Hathcock told the story many times while we was in Quantico training there in 83. (Sniper School)
He did although made a 2500 yard shot on Feb 1967 by shooting the enemy as he drink water from a stream.

My question is why does a cilivian want a 50 cal?
I would take my M40A1 anyday but we use the 50 for heavy walls and vechiles. BUT we do not shoot 100 times a day with them just enough to do the job.
No mercy,
It is very rare for any military personel to take HOME any issue belonging more or less A WEAPON.
If I took my rifle (M40A1) hunting next month I would be going to Leavenworth.

MSGT. GREG (83-CURRENT)
1ST FORCE RECON
CAMP PENDELTON,CA
SNIPER PLT.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:29 PM

Mike,
You are not accurate with the story of Hathcock. The bike was shot from underneath him, Carlos was going to let him go but the boy took his AK and fed a banana clip, fired wildly. (At 2000 yards NOT 2650, BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!)The late Carlos Hathcock told the story many times while we was in Quantico training there in 83. (Sniper School)
He did although made a 2500 yard shot on Feb 1967 by shooting the enemy as he drink water from a stream.

My question is why does a cilivian want a 50 cal?
I would take my M40A1 anyday but we use the 50 for heavy walls and vechiles. BUT we do not shoot 100 times a day with them just enough to do the job.
No mercy,
It is very rare for any military personel to take HOME any issue belonging more or less A WEAPON.
If I took my rifle (M40A1) hunting next month I would be going to Leavenworth.

MSGT. GREG (83-CURRENT)
1ST FORCE RECON
CAMP PENDELTON,CA
SNIPER PLT.