Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

semi-autos vs bolts

Old 08-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default semi-autos vs bolts

are todays semi-auto rifles as accurate as todays bolt actions????? The old issue was the cartridge seating in a semi-auto wasnt as tight/locked in causing accuracy deficiencies... .who knows the truth.???...SPEAK NOW
Old 08-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Default RE: semi-autos vs bolts

Well, the bench rest shooters all use bolt guns. Having said that, the Colt AR-15 is capable of superb accuracy - 1/2 MOA all day long - good enough for the most particular varmint hunter. Have to part with some money to get there from a stock gun. But not quite up to the level of bench rest . . . .
Old 08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Autos can certainly be accurate rifles but when you look at spending equal money on both types of firearms the bolt will almost always be the more accurate of the two.

Things that make the semi less accurate is the venting of the gas to operate the bolt while the bullet is traveling down the bore, the bolt not locking as tightly, the bolt moving before the bullet leaves the bore, triggers are generally not as good with out spendind money, receivers are generally not as strong, moving parts attached to the barrel, etc... etc...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

are todays semi-auto rifles as accurate as todays bolt actions????? The old issue was the cartridge seating in a semi-auto wasnt as tight/locked in causing accuracy deficiencies... .who knows the truth.???...SPEAK NOW
There may be a semi-auto design that gives as good accuracy as the average bolt-action, but if so, I have never fired one (I do NOT include National Match versions of the M1, M14, or M16 in this statement!)
Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 PM

In hunting conditions you will be accurate enough with your semi auto to do what needs to be done. That is what counts. If you can hit a 5 inch circle at 200 yards you have a gun that will cleanly take big game under almost any circumstances. My stepfather hasa semi .243 and the recoil is so low that he "double taps" most deer, meaning he slides a quick second shot into the vitals right after the first to make sure that he doesn't have to track them far. Its just a thought.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

If you are asking about factory hunting rifles, the bolt action is definitely more accurate. If you're wanting a semi-auto for hunting look to the Browning BAR. They are the most accurate for a hunting semi in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

superpig.... how about that Benelli R1 critics say the most accurate semi-auto ever made. better than a bolt. howza bout dat??
Old 09-01-2005, 08:28 PM

i have a browning BAR in 30-06 and due to some type of gas sealing system (i think) its as accurate as any stock-off-the-shelf hunting rifle. I love mine
Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

superpig.... how about that Benelli R1 critics say the most accurate semi-auto ever made. better than a bolt. howza bout dat??
Better than which bolt?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

stubblejumper.... any bolt action.... pick em savage, remington, browning, etc. what bolt do you think is best.. brandwise or otherwise

the TIKKA T3 whitetailhunter and the SAKOare great examples of good bolt actions

Quick Reply: semi-autos vs bolts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.