Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hot in da Summer...Rifled Slug Gun..shots stringing..

Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 AM

Default RE: Hot in da Summer...shots stringing..

I would expect to shoot better than that with that rifle and the correct slugs. Providing you can shoot better than that with a different rifle.

Maybe your not holding the gun right? Sorry couldn't resist.. ( that was meant to be a joke,not a jab, please don't be offended by it).

How does it shoot on cooler days? I have had rifles that would do that, but they normally string vertically. You could try messing with the barrel and action. Like free floating and bedding if it has not been done, or messing the with the torque on the screws. Keep in mind when you are hunting with it, it will not see these conditions. Well that depends on where you live I guess. With my ML I fire every shot from clean cool barrel. I fully clean it after every shot. I am only concerned what the bullet will do from a clean barrel, not a fouled hot one. It is time consuming, but it works for me.

Is this a repeatable thing, or could you have just been having a bad day? I normally try not to change anything or worry too much unless I can repeat it again under the same conditions. This is really the case with archery, but applies to guns as well. If you just can't get things to go right, when they normally do just stop and try again later.

Your a lo liket me. I am sure you are looking for 1 -1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. But like said above, that is plenty accurate if that is all it opens up to with changing conditions. Unless you want to varmint hunt with your slug gun.

Good luck figuring it out.

Paul
Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

First let me clarify, I am not at all unhappy about the groups. In fact I am quite happy about the way this gun has been shooting. I simply wanted to point out that this is what can happen in the heat withan otherwise great gun.

My first shot out of this gun is always very good. That iswhat is most important to me. If I take a second shot it is usually at a very close distance,after I have already approached a downed animal.

If I couldmake any of those three shots on game at 100yds that is all I can really ask of the gun.

To supply you guys with some factual evidence,below is a picture of the first shot out of a cold barrel from the previous time I visited the range.

I believe the trip before that the first shot was in between the 7/6 ring.

To be honest this is a recent phenomina, I usually don't shoot that good. I think it has something to do with the way I hold my hand.....LOL...(inside joke)

Old 08-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here isa morerepresentative group. This one shot at 50yds. Two different shooters. I shot three shots, then Jcchartgirl shot the fourth. About 1.5 inches...Once again I believe the "near bull" was the first cold barrel shot.