Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone use the HR Tracker II?

Old 08-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone use the HR Tracker II?

Paul I could be wrong but I believe that stainless steel does not disapate heat faster than steel. But you seem to be more directly concerned of the sun's radiant heat soak into the barrel material, I think those temps pale to temps achieved by firing a good few slugs. Anyone?

Maybe it stays hot for what seems a long time after firing because, hey, it's a big chunk of steel. I would guess that off the top of my head the barrel wall thickness of my Ultra 12 is three times thicker than a typical 12 barrel.

Note to self: Put calipers on barrel walls also.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, I did do some math. It may be off a few thousands because I used a basic caliper and mechanics rule - not a slide caliper. I may do that tomorrow.

I figured that the wall thicknesses are as follows:

H&R Ultra 12 gauge (assuming .729" bore), o.d. 1-1/16": .16675"
H&R Ultra 20 gauge (assuming .615" bore), o.d. 15/16": .16125"
"Regular" 12 gauge smooth bore (assuming .729" bore), o.d. 27/32": .05737"
(JC Higgins Model 20 pump)

So basically yes, the H&R Ultra barrel is 3X thicker than a standard shotgun barrel, atleast in the 12 gauge data.

Just for kicks to try and say yes or no to the notion of the H&R 12 being bored in a 10 gauge barrel blank. If the 10 gauge barrel is 1.0625" and 10 gauge bore is .775" then 1.0625" o.d. - .775" bore = .2875". Dividing the .2875" by 2 for both walls of the barrel is .2875" / 2 = .14375" wall thickness, which would again make the 10 gauge barrel appear bullish beings as that .14375" is not too far off the Ultra 12's .16675 (-.023").

I don't recall the 10 gauge H&R's to be bull looking at all, so maybe the 12 Ultra is made from something more than just a 10 gauge barrel blank. It could be that it is just a generality used to descibe them that the average layman would be likely to understand. Maybe there is a totally seperate blank for the Ultras.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:21 AM

You would really need to compare a 10 guage rifled slug barrel to a 12 gauge rifled heavy barrel not a shot barrel. I am sure they have different demensions. And you would have to take the measurement in the middle of the barrle some where, not at the end incase there was some sort of taper to it. I am sure the shot barrels have a different wall thickness regargless of guage.

You could be correct though. The 12 gauge may not simply be a 10 guage barrel with a 12 guage diameter bore in it. It really depends on how they make the barrels. It could be that the 12 and the 10 use the same bar stock to begin with, then again maybe not. Or they might use some sort of tube rather than bar stock. It would be as simple as telling the machine to mill the outside dimension of the barrel the same as a 10 guage instead of a 12 guage. If they used the same bar stock it would be quite the waste of metal though.

If I could get a hold of a parts catalog I could tell you for sure. If the hand gaurds are the same for a 10 guage rifled barrel, and a 12 guage ultra barrel you could pretty much bet they were the same barrel with a different bore. I showed my ultra to a buddy and he immediately thought it was a 10 gauge before he looked at the hole in the barrel and I told him it was a heavy 12. I have really not seen that many 10 gauges to know by looking at one to be honest. I would have to go to the local gun store and see if they had any 10 gauges in stock. I don't think they do.

What I can tell by looking at H&Rs website is that the the 12, 20, 410 and so on regular barrels both shot and slug use a SB1 receiver and the 10 guage uses a SB2 reciever. When you look at the Ultra Slug guns the 12 guage uses the SB2 reciever and the 20 uses the smaller the SB1. Except oddly enough when you move to the Ultra Deluxe both the 20 and the 12 use the SB2 reciever. However I can't see them using a different barrel than the regular ultra does.

Bottom line is they are BIG and heavy. If I had it to over again I would get the 20 gauge in the non deluxe model just for more interchangability. From what I can tell none of the shot gun recievers will accept a rifle barrel, so that is out from the get go.

Paul
Old 08-24-2005, 09:26 AM

OK, I just did some more looking. They don't even offer a 10 gauge rifled barrel. I thought they did. However when you look at the 10 guage barrel listing the the 12 guage heavy barrel is listed there. And it says nothing about coming with or needing a special forend, so the 10 gauge forend must fit it.

The 20 gauge heavy barrel has a note that it comes with the special forend that that barrel only takes. That leads me to believe that it is not a 12 guage blank, but maybe some completely different design or something. It's odd they list it being on either reciever though. I wonder if it was a miss print or something.

Paul