Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ring advice for a noobie

Old 08-17-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Ring advice for a noobie

I'm looking to get a bit of ring advice id I could. I'll admit that my knowledge of this subject is considerably sub par so Ill take whatever i can get. I just bought a new Model 70 in 300 wsm lefthand bolt. I also have a leupold vx-III 4.5-14 X 40mm scope to put on it. Im tyring to decide what rings and mounts to buy. ive been looking at thetalley ql detachables as people seem to have good fellings on them. purchasing the rings and the base setup will be the complete deal correct? sorry for the very elementary subject here, but its the first time that ive purchased such items.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 AM

Default RE: Ring advice for a noobie

Detachabale scope mounts aren,t really needed and not that really relilable.The only ones i knew of were Kharskey and they don,t make them any more. I would just get a set of weaver bases and ther NEW QUAD LOCK ring set up which is real good. Thats all one needs and won,t break your pocket book as well. vangunsmith
Old 08-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Forget quick-detach rings. I have never seen them be reliable. Bydesign, they move. If you mount the scope right, you'll never even consider using the sights. Any good make of rings and mounts will work as long as they are designed for your rifle. Maybe think about going with a lower powered scope.A2x7 or 3x9 will make it easier to pick up close targets at lower power, and, if you can't hit them at 9 power, I guarantee you won't hit them at 14x. Mount the scope low enough so you don't have to search for it when you shoulder your gun.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

WSM takes a 2 piece leupole mount ,50021 , and standard rings should be fine with a 4o mill . Just installed one on my super shadow in 270 wsm . Dam fine gun .
Old 08-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to http://www.theopticzone.com/and talk to Jon. I've bought many a thing from him. I'd recomment the Leupold Dual Dovetail 2 piece base w/ rings, in fact, just bought a set from him for my Rem. 700 30-06.

BTW - his customer service is 2nd to none and his prices are great!