Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle/Shooter Problems

Old 08-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle/Shooter Problems

Ok guys, I gave you an easy question before (See Measuring Group Sizes), but now I've got a tough question and I don't know if anyone on here will be able to help me out. Sorry I have a feeling it is gonna be long winded so I can give you all of the details.
Right now I am shooting a Remington Model 7 SS in .308. This rifle for those of you who don't know it has a Stainless barrel and a synthetic stock. I have been shooting primarily 150 Core-lokts out of it, with a few FMJ and a couple shots with the new Swift Siroccos last year to see how they worked. I ended up with copper fouling from the Swifts and it took me a while to get it all out over the winter. But i think it is all gone now. This year I started groundhog hunting with it and have gone 27/30 with it. The shots ranged from 1-200 yds.
My problem that I am having is that I cannot seem to get this rifle to shoot groups worth poop any more. I can go out in the field and drill chucks all day long with it and miss very few shots. However, when I am on the bench and try to shoot it, I am lucky to get even 2 shots that even look like a group. I have cleaned this gun after every shooting sesion and maitain very good care of it. In the 5 years i've had i've put between 500-600 shots through it. I even watch how fast i shoot to make sure the barrel isn't getting any hotter than just "warm"
What I don't understand is that I can shoot it in hunting situations all day long and be fine, but whenever i go to shoot paper, i just cant do it....i dont think it can be all me because i can take any other rifle out of the safe and punch sub-moa groups with those. its not a flinching problem because the recoil is minimal.
I can't think of any other background in it, but my question, does anybody have any ideas as to why i can shoot fine on animals but choke on paper with the rifle?
sorry, im sure i missed some stuff so feel free to post anymore q's you have and ill help fill in the dark areas.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:28 PM

Default RE: Rifle/Shooter Problems

Maybe it's your position? Are you free hand in the stix and sitting at a bench on the range?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:33 PM

I know what you are talking about!!! I learned to shoot at objects rather than paper. coke bottles,walnuts,bottle caps ect. But when i,m on paper it seems that one is subconcious to prove themselves with others around them,and if you don,t your a failure. Shooting trap and skeet the same way.Learned in the field with wing shooting doves,the fast moving ones. trap and skeet,just and adverage shooter.But in the field,lets just say its in the bag!! Now ive seen its just the opposite.Peoople whom can shoot paper,clay birds,when they get in the field the couldn,t hit there own ass in a snow storm.So,if i were you i wouldn,t worry about it.I don,t. You might want to change loads ,check you mounts & rings to see if they are tight,and check your action scres to see if they are tight also. Don,t worry like i said as,long as the proof is in the freezer who cares?? vangunsmith
Old 08-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think your "grouping problem" is in your head? I would zero your rifle before hunting season on groudhogs & call it good enough. Minute of Groundhogaccuracy is good enough to kill deer with.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wolf killer, i thought it might be in my head too, but that doesn't explain why i can shoot any other rifle and be awesome, but when it comes to my own rifle, i just cant do it. my problem is that i cant sight in my rifle because i can get groups with it. its just luck when i somehow manage to get enough hole together to call it a group and move the sights from there.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

308hunter, I feel for you. Do you have a friend that you shoot with? If you had a friend shoot the rifle, you could at least confirm your problem? Can you stiil hit groundhogs with this rifle? Maybe you have a loose ring or base? Maybe your scope is damaged?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????
Old 08-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

What did you use to remove the copper fouling? I'd say your barrel is probably still fouled. Get some Sweets or Shooters Choice copper remover and let it sit for a few minutes, if you see any green or blue it's fouled.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:34 AM

does your first shot go where you want it to?... if so don't worry about it... it's probably a bedding/barrel pressureproblem that could be fixed with a little work, but you say this is a hunter, not to worry then...

heat build up no matter how little will compound a bedding/barrel pressure problem quickly...
Old 08-17-2005, 03:39 AM

after reading your post again, are you doing all this cleaning from the breech end or the barrel end?... I'm wondering about the crown on the barrel...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

First step is to have some one else shoot your rifle and see if it will group. If it does you have a head problem. If it doesn't I would try a swab of an ammonia based cleaner( house hold ammonia works great) let it sit in the bore for 5 minutes them re swab. If it comes out blue/green you still have copper. If no copper ,check for a loose scope, and or bedding problems. What about the ammo? do you use the same stuff at the range that you use in the field?

Quick Reply: Rifle/Shooter Problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.