Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Measuring Group Size???

Old 08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Measuring Group Size???

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

typically folks measure as close as possibly the center to center of the two fartherest holes.

However if the results are to be posted on the internet the measurement is taken inside to inside then subtract one bullet diameter and then only measure two of the three shots because the third one was a flyer.
Too true, I love how they never post pictures of these magnificnet groups either.
With all due respects I know that some folks are actually shooting exceptional groups.....but we've all read about some that can't possibly be anythiung but fabrication and in my own experience 1/2" groups can be achieved but indeed rarely..... I suspect well over half the 1/2" groups reported on the 'net are pure fabrication and wishful thinking.

I worked with a guy once that had a 7 Mag that could hit nickels at 300 yards.......until I invited him to the range to prove it....in reality he couldn't produce a single group at 100 yards better than 3"
Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Vapordog how true your wisdom. Alot of people can shoot really well. I have shot alot of clover leaf groups but more than not I will shoot two bullets in the same hole and opps one goes of about 3/4". Is it my bullets nope. My rifle nope. Its me and its just error. Take that same person who claims 1/2" groups and make them shoot five shot groups ohh how things change when you add another two shots. We are just people and I for one have never been invited to shoot on the USA Olympic team so I'm just normal .
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Vapordog I know how they do it! By shooting 200 groups and having one 1/2" freak in the bunch. The other 199 are 2.5". Of course when you ask, they shoot "shoot around" 1/2" groups. I shoot 3 shot groups, measure my groups center to center and I average the groups. Usually I make only 20 shots at a the range and call it a day.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Center to center.
That is the true differencein the actual points of impact.
This way all calibers are kept on an even playing field, and the shooters skill, and quality of matching of the gun to the load are more acurately represented.

You can say "I can cover my group with a quarter, or a tennis ball", or whatever.
That's different.

I feel thatgroup size data is only of value if you record the distance between where you made the bullets hit, not how much paper theytore upwhen they got there.

That's why competitors use the largest diameter bullets they can shoot well or that are allowed. They will cut scoring lines better when the shots are not hitting where they should.