Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg or HR Slug Gun -- Which is better?

Old 08-14-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Mossberg or HR Slug Gun -- Which is better?

OK, appreciate the Mossberg opinions, but then saw the post on the H and R. Looked it up and found the price even less than the Mossberg I had looked up. Which gun would be the better deal from aspects of quality, accuracy, ease of operation, etc. Also, is the HR a single shot, and if so, how do you load? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mossberg or HR Slug Gun -- Which is better?

The H&R is a single shot break open action,. They may also make it in the new Pertner Pump gun I don't use slug guns for hunting but carry one while camping in Bear country. I have heard nothing bad about the Mossbergs And the single shot H&R's shoot well according to the guys on the NEF site. Some of the slug gun hunters should be chiming in on this one.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hello, chiming in here.

The Mossberg is what it is, a pretty darn good pump shotgun, which can be fit with several different barrels to suit the job at hand. Shot barrel with different chokes for shot, smooth bore barrel w/ rifled sights for slugs, rifled barrel w/ rifled sights for slugs, rifled barrel w/ cantilever scope mount for slugs, etc. All in all a good value for the money due to the wide range it can cover. In my opinion, the Mossberg is one little step below the Remington 870. These 2, the Mossberg 500 & Rem 870 are quite the popular shotguns of choice.

Now the H&R Ultra is strictly designed, engineered and intended for the sole purpose of shooting slugs, very accurately. The heavy bull barrel, Fort Knox vault lock up and scope mount directly to the barrel (not the action) all come together to deliver incredible accuracy.

I really don't believe that a Mossberg pump could match the accuracy of the H&R. Any Mossy that would deliver accuracy anywhere near the H&R, in my opinion, would probobly have to be fit with a cantilever scope mount rifled slug barrel.

I have been shooting a 12 gauge H&R ULtra Slug Hunter Deluxe for quite a while and have never looked back, buying another in 20 gauge for my oldest deer hunting son. I imagine there's another in the future as I have two other sons moving up in age.

Both of these (12 & 20) are the real deal for putting deer down and in the freezer.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:28 AM

So how much can I expect to pay for a new HR in the deluxe heavy barrell version?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

prices will vary from dealer to dealer but I believe H&R's msrp is $229. I paid $200 for my son's 20 gauge two years ago or so. Picked up a brand new Simmons 4X scope on ebay for like $30-40 and it has been absolutely problem free. I also use a Simmons 4X scope on my 12, but mine is the Pro-Diamond recticle and his is just crosshaired.

I only paid about $170 for my 12 deluxe when they first came out, 1995 or 1996 I think. Bought my scope new for like $60 on sale.

Also there isn't a choice, the Ultras are only bull (heavy) barreled. The deluxe gets you the laminated camoflauge stocks, longer forestock and checkering on the stocks, standard is brown walnut and I've seen them dark, light and everywhere inbetween.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 AM

I just bought a H&R Ultra Slug hunter deluxe 12 guage with the laminated stock and heavy barrel. They were like $260-280 at my local gunstore. I think they were pretty close to that at Cabela's. They had a regular ultra slug hunter in 20 guage for 219. I don't know if the 12 guages are more or not. And They have a tracker II with open sites for well under $200.

I paid $219 for my Deluxe, but it was used. Looked brand new though and I don't mind used guns as they were taken care of.

If you don't mind not getting any service Walmart has really good prices. I think the Deluxe sells for $229 or something. They would most likely have to order it for you though.

I won't comment on accuracy because I have not shot mine enough to know. I have only shot 10 lightfields out of it that the gunstore suggested I try. They were pretty good at 50 yards but fell apart in my opinion at 100. About 4 or 5 inch groups. However I have read on this site and others and both my gunstore and the guy at cabela's confirmed that with the right ammo these will shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards.

As far as the differences between the two, well I've owned both. As a matter of fact I traded my Mossberg 500 in on this gun. I feel the mossberg is a decent little gun for the price, especially for the youth model I had. The only thing I noticed is that if you didn't rack it back hard it had a problem feeding shells. As long as you didn't baby it, it worked fine. The differences between it and an 870 field grade are pretty minor. They both have a few things the other doesn't.

What do you want to do with it, like what kind of hunting are you going to do. If you are doing drives or something where you will be carrying the gun or might need a quick follow up shot then the pump might be better for you. The HR is a single shot and pretty darn heavy. I would not want to lug it around all day for sure. I hunt out of a blind so it doesn't bother me. It's not much heavier than my ML it is replacing.

My mossberg youth model a few years ago was like $255 after tax from the same gunstore. They can be had cheaper if you look around. The rifled cantilever barrels are around 150 bucks. Or I think you can get a combo for well under 400. If you intend on using a scope I highly suggest getting the cantilever since the scope would attach directly to the barrel instead of the reciever. However the recievers are drilled and tapped for a scope mount. This way you could easily swap barrels with no need to re-sight in every time. And they are just more accurate from what I have seen.

Will one shoot better than the other? I don't know for sure. I would bet the H&R has the advantage though. I think the faster twist rate would work better with the new faster lighter slugs. I have a few friends that shoot remingtons autos with the rifled slug barrels and get really good accuracy out to 100 yards with the hornady saboted slugs. Like 1-2 inch groups off from a bench. I never tried a rifled barrel on my mossberg so I can't say if it would do it or not. I have read of some that can though. It mostly depend how hard you looked for the right ammo I think.

It think both would kill plenty fine. The mossberg would cost a bit more in the long run but would be more versatile if you wanted to do more with it. The H&R might have an edge on accuracy though and would intitially be a bit cheaper. Plus it is a much simpler design with very little to go wrong or mess up in the field. And I believe you can get different barrels for them as well. I'm just not sure what barrels are avialable for the Ultra style guns. I would like to get an extra turkey barrel for mine if it's possible.

I'm sure others will chime in with more experience, or you can do a search. Plenty of responses will pop up. I just did it this weak. There are several discussions on this very subject, some with multiple pages.

Good luck,
Paul