Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless Barrels/Accuracy

Old 08-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Stainless Barrels/Accuracy

I jsut read in a magazine that stainless barrels are not as accurate as regular steel because stainless is difficult to rifle. Is this true? I love the idea of a weatherproof rifle, but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy-period.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stainless Barrels/Accuracy

ORIGINAL: pintoshot

I jsut read in a magazine that stainless barrels are not as accurate as regular steel because stainless is difficult to rifle. Is this true? I love the idea of a weatherproof rifle, but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy-period.

There's nothing inaccurate about stainless barrels.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the manufactures never read that article & are now in trouble. What are they going to do?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell that to all those people that won benchrest shoots using stainless barrels.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I jsut read in a magazine .....stop reading and start shooting .a lot of the writers don't even have a rifle ..
Old 08-14-2005, 01:47 PM
bigcountry

Overall, I would say thats a true statement. Not that you can't have an accurate stainless barrel, but stainless barrels would be harder to rifle than chromoly. Easier to machine would make it more likely if airguaged to be what I would say a more likely to be accurate. But the differences for a us regular folks would probably be unnoticed or impossible to tell. This is one of those silly discussions that come up like short vs long action or breakopen vs. bolt.

Alot of guys on here will throw out there opinion, but none of us knows for sure.

Heinz, which writer do you know for sure doesn't have a rifle??? Curious which ones you know?

Old 08-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

i said a lot of ...... i didn't say all .most of the writers are paid by rifle and amunition comp. for there articles ..ps - i have a BROWNING A- BOLT STAINLESS STALKER 300WSM with BOSS [thank god] o yes mine shoot's straight...
Old 08-14-2005, 01:58 PM
bigcountry

Ok then what writers do you know are paid off by ammo or whatever companies? What one or alot of don't own a gun?

Old 08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-14-2005, 10:26 PM

This magazine, called The Alaska Sportsman, is a publication from the editors of Alaska magazine. The magazine has all the big & small game seasons, forecasts game unit, by game unit and species. Also, they have an entire section on gearing up for different Alaska hunts. One of the gear sections under the title "The Perfect Rifle" Discusses choosing the right gun. The article says; stainless steel appeals to anyone who lives on the coast, but no steel is truly stainless. And stainless is not the most accurate steel for barrels because it is difficult to cut the rifling. But pinpoint accuracy is not a prime consideration in a land where merely keeping your rifle form turning into a rusty POS is a constant battle. So, while not actually stating that they arenot accurate, it's certainly implied. For me, having spent some time up in the great white north I couldnt disagree more. Alaska is one of the most unforgiving place on earth, period. Alaska can swallowup the unwary and dim-wittedbefore they even know what's happening. I won't go into all the ways you can meet your fate up there, but I will say this YOU WANT THE MOST ACCURATE RIFLE AND ABILITY YOU CAN MUSTER UP THERE. Be it gun, mind, equipment, area knowledge. Cuz there is no place like ALASKA. Nothing in the lower 48 than can even touch upon comparison when it comes to the many ways nature can kill you-be it elements, animals, quick-sand, whitewater etc. Oh yeah baby, you wnna be able to shoot well through scope and sights and have both available. It's funny, when Alaskans see people "from the world" as they like to call it carrying .357 side arms or even .44's they quietly laugh to themselves. I could go on, but you just have to go there. It's an intimidating place...unless you're totally ignorant.

Quick Reply: Stainless Barrels/Accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.