Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless Barrels/Accuracy

Old 08-15-2005, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stainless Barrels/Accuracy

Oh yeah baby, you wnna be able to shoot well through scope and sights and have both available.
I hunt remote areas of the Canadian wilderness which is just as rugged as Alaska,and we do not bother with open sights.If you truly are worried about a scope becoming damaged,carrying a spare that is already sighted in in quick release mounts is a better idea than having a rifle with see through mounts.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

See through mounts suck. They raise your head to high off of the stock and you can't keep your eye in the same place. As far as the stainless barrels not beeing as accurate, my Ruger 77 Mk II stainless 300 WSM has a factory stainlessbarrel and it will shoot my 150gr reloads into a .5" group at 100 yards, my 165 and 180gr reloads into a .6" group at 100 yards and my 110gr reloads into a 1.15" group at 100 yards. Not bad for a factory rifle. I think stainless is every bit as accurate.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:30 AM

Granted the canadian wilderness is very rugged. But again, as I stated to think it is as rugged as ALaska is just plain wrong. I have been to both. I'm not talking just rugged here. Coastal Alaska is a different animal altogether. And if you think you are going to be reliant on your scope to shoot a charging brown bear coming at you at full charge you are living in outer space. See, it's just this type of thing that makes me say (and this will be my final response on the subject) just go there!

The coastal Alaskan bush is like nothing else in North America. Nowhere is it as tall, thick, wet, cold, steepand fraught with danger. The Yukon is close, but still, it aint coastal Alaska (been to both). The bear density (Black & Brown) glacial till/Mud that can suck you into a death hole, raging rains that can make the little stream your floating down turn into a raging torrent in minutes. Bears conditioned to run to the sound of gunfire. There maybe some places in Canada that compare, but they are not near Alberta, Banff, Jasper and on and on. Oh yes, the canadianmountains in those areasare rugged, remoteand treacherous indeed-and cold,cold,cold and beautifull.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-18-2005, 11:32 PM

Just ain't true. I have many stainless barrels that are more accurate than I am. Many of the competitors at events would scowl at that article also.[:'(]
Old 08-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Granted the canadian wilderness is very rugged. But again, as I stated to think it is as rugged as ALaska is just plain wrong. I have been to both. I'm not talking just rugged here. Coastal Alaska is a different animal altogether. And if you think you are going to be reliant on your scope to shoot a charging brown bear coming at you at full charge you are living in outer space.
So just how much do the terrain and conditions change when you walk a few steps from coastal alaska to coastal B.C.?I have killed a charging grizzly with my scope,so I am talking from experience.I killed this grizzly inB.C.just a few miles from the alaska/ B.C. border .Had I shot the same bear a just afew miles away,it would have been considered a brown bear.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The writer of the article simply doesn't know what he's talking about in regard to rifle barrels. Plain and simple.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man

The writer of the article simply doesn't know what he's talking about in regard to rifle barrels. Plain and simple.
Thats rightAnd everybody on here does.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get your point.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:43 PM
bigcountry

You know I ain't raggin on you Solitary, Irespect most of your opinions. Just sayin, all our raps, including mine is best guess, and a little experience thrown in..

Quick Reply: Stainless Barrels/Accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.