Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New toy, H&R Ultra Slug

Old 08-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New toy, H&R Ultra Slug

Let's talk DEAD DEER.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle,

I know for once that is one thing we can all agree on here. If the shooter does his part, all these slug guns and bullets will kill any deer they hit. The only added skills required outside of those required for rifle shooting are perhaps better range estimation and windage correction.

Heck...If you are close enough, the deer don't just get hit with the bullet, they get whacked with the sabot too. Especially the sabots from the lightfields which are very hard plastic and divide in halfs. The 8pt you see on the left under my name had a half ofmy lightfield sabot buried 6 inches in its neck. He was shot while I was stalking, the range was about 10yds!

Old 08-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is intresting the difference in how hard the materials can be (or soft) in sabot material. What looks quite strange atleast to me - is the long tail on the Buckhammers. It would seem that it would kinda be like a "parachute" and create drag, but I guess it doesn't cause they are one of the faster slugs.

Anyone shoot any deer yet with a Buckhammer?

Maybe I'll pick up a few boxes and try them today after HS class.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first concern with themwould be lead fouling. Since they have no sabot to protect the projectile I would be sure to give your barrel a good cleaning afterwards.

Second, Remington themselves advertises to expect 3 in groups vs copper solids at 2.5 in and core lokts at 1.8 in.

The one thing that does intrigue me though is that they are full bore slugs. That means that theoretically they should perform best in guns with a relatively slow twist rate of 1-35 or 1-36. That should perform well in guns like my Savage 210 or a Mossberg 695. Not sure if it would have I'll effect on guns with a faster twist such as your H and R which I believe is 1-28, and ideally suited to sub-caliber projectiles.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle,

Also watch the trajectory on those. Sighted dead on at 50yds, they are already, ( -3.6 in for 12ga), and ( -4.6in for 20ga), at 100yds.

That all sounds more like smooth bore than rifled slug shooting.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:20 PM

You have never sighted in at 50 yards and then had to fine tune your adjustments at 100? That is pretty impressive, or your not that concerned with precsion. I actually shoot at vertical and horzontal lines when I fine tune my sight.

And I was not putting words in your mouth, only stating the way it comes off. Sorry if you thought that. And I believe it was stated as a question, not as a quote from you. The way it reads is that at 50 yards there is no reason to check it or adjust it if it is wrong at 100. If you sight in at 50 and it's off at 100 I bet most are going to adjust it so it is right. Wouldn't that be sighting in at 100 yards? I guess you could take the measurements at 100 and then make the adjustment and shoot at 50, but why? Just make the adjustments and fire another group to see what happens. Then shoot at 50 again to verify the elevation at that distance. I would agree that if you didn't shoot groups well enough at 100 yards you would be better off doing it at 50. However if that is the case I don't think you should be shooting at 100 yards so you might as sight in dead on at 50. Why would you shoot at game beyond a range you can shoot well at?

I also did not read all the material you did, only what you copy and pasted, so that is what I commented on. I can't comment on something I didn't read. Although according to that theory the guy should have shot good groups, just impacting in a different spot is all.

I have yet to be able to duplicate the things you describe or talk about, so I just find them hard to believe. I have tried the things you have stated and I don't see the same results.

I know you think I don't seem to be getting what you say. I do, I just don't believe it is all. And believe me I am not the only one. The others just don't want to mess with arguing the point. Although I am getting tired of it, so I will probably let it go after this post. Until it comes up again.

Paul
Old 08-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

All sighting-in of a slug gun should be done at 50 yards (45.7 m). If you think your shots will be longer, set your groups 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) high at 50 yards or 1 inch (2.54 cm) high with the new high-velocity sabots, and it will be dead-on at 100 yards

I agree with Paul!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

All sighting-in of a slug gun should be done at 50 yards (45.7 m). If you think your shots will be longer, set your groups 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) high at 50 yards or 1 inch (2.54 cm) high with the new high-velocity sabots, and it will be dead-on at 100 yards

I agree with Paul!

Rebel...the basis of the above statement is what PAUL IS SAYING IS INCORRECT...FYI
Old 08-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Yep! I miss read his post!
Like I said, I bought the Knight and the man who introduced the rifle should
know and give advice on his own product! And it works!!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree completely Rebel....

Quick Reply: New toy, H&R Ultra Slug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.