Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope for rimfire rifle...

Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Spike

Default scope for rimfire rifle...

I just won a Marlin 917 VS at our Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet this weekend. This is the bolt action 17 HMR rimfire. Not real familiar with rimfire type scopes, I want to get something that is good quality but not much more than $100 to put on it, stainless finish if available. Recommendations much appreciated...primarily will be used as a plinker to 150 yards...
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM

Default RE: scope for rimfire rifle...

I'd look for something a bit better than a rimfire scope. These rifles are ACCURATE! I have a 20 power scope on mine. I own the savage.

A nice 3x9 would work though. An actual rimfire scope might have the parallax set to close for one for one these rifles. BSA makes a scope especially for it that has a bullet drop compensator built into it. From what I understand they work ok, but they don't have great optics compared to more expensive scopes. Typical of a 100 dollar scope though.

You can get some great deals on the internet. There are some .44 mag scopes going for 100 dollars on of the scope sites, I don't remember which one off the top of my head though.

Paul
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have a marlin 917vs, great gun the trigger is kinda heavy so i swapped out springs if you would like to know more just ask ill be glad to tell you but its a bit long to type out now. I have simmons Prohunter 4-12x40Ao it works well, Gophers are still kinda small at 150 yards in it. My farthest kill is 155 yards so its still very possible. i find that its a great combo.

heres few pic the groups were shot at 50 yards it will do alot better but these shot during the first 50 rounds they are now tighters but i dont shoot targets. the dimes and empty case was also shot at 50 yards the one dime was shot 3 times.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

A standard Bushnell 4X with 1" tube is what I'd install. Last time I bought one it was $40 and works great.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:29 PM

You can likely find several good scopes in the neighborhood of $100. In addition to Bushnell, you might also want to check out Weaver. Here's some links that might help:
SWFA: http://www.riflescopes.com/store/default.asp

Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/

Optic Zone: http://www.theopticzone.com/

Found this at SWFA:

Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
SWFA: $129.95
[ul][*]Silver[*]Dual-X[*]1" [/ul]

Bushnell 3-9x32 .22 Rimfire Scope

[ul][*]Silver[*]Multi-X[*]1"[*]Free 3/8" Rings [/ul]
SWFA:
$39.95[/b]
Old 08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

my cousin has a tasco varmiter 2.5-10x42 that works well for him. trust me you will want more then just a 4x scope for the 17hmr its just soo accurate i would say 3-9 minimum, lots of guys on rimfire central have 16x or larger.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, good stuff. At first I was thinking that I would just sell the thing, but now I am thinking that I may enjoy shooting it.
Gopher, nice looking rig...and nice shooting. Where did you get the funny looking "dimes" though???
So I am thinking a nice 3X9...and a quick peek through the Cabelas catalog leads me to the Leupold compact or Alaskan guide...I guess that $100 was just a guideline...
Old 08-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

gobuffs, here's a simmon's 3-9x32 rimfire scope on sale at bass pro shops for $35, originally $70. the picture shows a matte scope but the silver one is the one on sale. i ordered one a fews days ago for my SS 10/22 but it won't be in until wednesday so i can't comment on it as of yet.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:23 PM

Hey go buffs. I use a Weaver rimfire scope in 2-7 power with a 32 mm objective. Nice and small but with usable power. doesn't look wierd on my rimfire which would be unwieldy with a big 3-9x40 on it. Best of all, the scope is rugged and has excellent optics being made in japan. I got it from midway for about a C note but it was on sale. I think it is about the best scope for rimfire under 150 bucks.
okcmco
Old 08-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Spike

Hey gopher, which ammo does your 917 VS seem to like the best?? Hoping to go and light this candle in the next month or so...getting ready for Colorado elkbowhunt....so curious which ammo you found to be most accurate??? And best for little critters..

Quick Reply: scope for rimfire rifle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.