Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First hunting rifle

Old 08-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default First hunting rifle

Hi, new to the forums here. I'm 17 years old and as of yet dont have a job, but will in a few months, so money is limited. I have done some research and I like the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 30-06 and then I'd like to put a 3-9x40mm Leupold scope on it. Is this a good package? I'd use it on mule deer and white tail on the West coast. Let me know, thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First hunting rifle

You are sure on the right track. Perfect Combo. The VXl is a good scope and not all that expensive. The Vanguard has a goo reputation and the 30-06 can't be beat.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Good combo, the 30-06 will take any game in North America. You may want to look at the Ruger 77 Mk II. They are about $470 at walmart and the rings and bases are included. I have one in .223 and one in 300 WSM. Both will shoot .5" groups at 100 yards. They are a great gun for the money. All three groups in the picture are 3 shot groups.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dh4stretch3

I like the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 30-06 and then I'd like to put a 3-9x40mm Leupold scope on it. Is this a good package? I'd use it on mule deer and white tail on the West coast. Let me know, thanks.
I think that sounds like a great combo. Be sure to post back if you do decide to purchase that combo and most importantly, howthe gunshoots.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:25 AM

If you don't have a lot of cash, a H&R Handi rifle in 270 Winchester , 7MM-08. or 280 Remington would be ideal. Being a single shot will help you learn what shots to take and to be accurate. A Burris FullField II 3x9x40 or a Nikon BuckMaster are great $200 scopes.Bushnell makes very good cheaper scopes, and so does Mueller...........
Old 08-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that your choice is excellent. You will never regret having a .30/'06. Nor will you ever regret a Leupold scope.

One great old-time gun writer (who knew his business) once said, "It is every freebornAmerican's right to purchase a rifle chambered for some cartridge other than the .30/'06. But it is no great tribute to his intelligenceif he does!!"

This is as true today as it was in 1930!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:46 PM

There are lesser expensive ways to go but not really that much less expensive. If you can afford this combo, I think you will be very happy with it. you may even be shooting for decades!! Probably shoots more accurately than you ever wiil! Good luck!
okcmco
Old 08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Great cartridge and rifle. It is one of the bestbang for your buck combos you can get. Dont forget the Savage 116 for a budget rifle either.
PS: If the recoil is a bit much take a look at the Federal and Remington low recoil loads. Plenty of power for whitetails out to 200 yds. The Federal uses a 170 grain Soft Point bullet and the Remington uses a 125 grain bullet. Kicks a little harder than a 30-30.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:13 PM

Just took a friend to cabelas for his first and only hunting rifle and after he tried out several he settled on a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 30-06 with a Leupold VXII 3x9 40mm scope. For a first hunting rifleyou need versatility and friendliness withplenty of power and a good scope. I thought he did a good job putting together his package. You won't have to apologize to anyone for carrying a Weatherby. You'll have plenty for nearlyanything you want to do in the lower 48 with a 30-06. You have already made a sound choice on all counts,don't letanyone change your mind.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only bad thing bout that selection is the fact you wont ever HAVE to buy another rifle...Now on the other hand...needin and wanting are 2 entirely different things...lol. Good choice..no matter what JamesB says

Quick Reply: First hunting rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.