Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

strange slug issue

Old 07-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: strange slug issue

That's just wierd.

I would think a hard rest will be OK, as long as you always shoot from the same kind of rest. It will change the point of impact for a given load, but it should have the same effect with every shot.
I prefer to sight in using a solid rest to make sure the gun is shooting to the right place. Thennote any differences while shooting off hand.

WAIT A MINUTE!
You mentioned sabot slugs in your first post, but then rifled slugs in your second.
For a rifled barrel, you want sabot slugs. Use rifled slugs for smoothbores.
Is this the difference, or did I miss something?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 PM

This all happened with the lightfields. I tried regular old rifled slugs just to see if they would rise like tha sabots but they dropped just like they should. I have used the regular rifled slugs in the past with very good grouping but they seem to drop considerably compaired to sabots. They really dirty up the rifling in the barrel but they shoot very well out of my gun out to 75 yards.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM

I agree with the others. Sight in at 100 yards and verify that you are getting good groups. Then see where it hits at 50 yards. I have never been a big fan of close range sight ins. When I look at the ballistics of a bullet and it shows it being dead on at one distance, rising and then falling and being dead on at another distance I always pick the farthest distance to sight my gun in at. It seems to be a more accurate way of doing it to me is all. I tried it the other way with my .17HMR once and it didn't work out all that well. Nothing like what you are seeing though.

I can think of a few things that might contribute to it, but I don't know if they would cause that much of a difference. One would be sight height. The height of your scope above the barrel will effect the percieved trajectory of the bullet. And the other would be parallax. The scope is most like fixed for parallax at one distance, like 50 or 100 yards depending on the what the scope is designed for. Depending on how your eye is lined up with the scope the bullet could impact in a different spot if the scope is not parallax free at that yardage. This is why people like to have the scope as low as possible when they mount it. It helps you keep more consitant anchor on the stock when you look thru the scope and doesn't effect percieved trajectory as much. Like I said though, I don't know if those two would throw you off that much at 100 yards though. Maybe combined they could? You can check your parallax by setting up some targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. Put your gun in a nice solid rest. Then look at each target and bob your head up and down and left to right without touching the rifle or rest. On some of the targets the cross hairs will move in relationship to the target. The distance where the cross hairs don't move no matter how you look thru the scope is the distance where it is parallax free. This is what the objustable objectives do on the target and varmint scopes. The correct the parallax for any distance. The key is you need to know the distance to dial it in, or do the head bob thing to varify it.

Another thing I would look at would be some sort of damage or defect. You said it was cantelever mount. Could it be bent? If it got knocked out of alignment somehow this might cause a problem. Or maybe the way the gun is assembled, like stress on the barrel from over tightening some screws. Maybe the crown of the barrel is damaged?

You might want to have a gunsmith look it over and see if he can find anything. It could even be your scope mounts are not aligned very well and putting stress on your scope or something.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 07-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel it's one of two things.

Either the AMMO.

Or YOU.

You say it's good with rifled slugs, dropping some at 100 yards, right? Only with the lightfields do you have these "flyers" (rising shots @ 100 tds). Points away fror YOU and towards AMMO, right?

I can't belive that a slug that's truely zero'd at 50 yards has a rise of over a foot at 100 yards. I have to check some sites for trajectories. Where's that darn jcchart guy when you need him? When you don't want him around he's right under foot and when you need him he's no where to be found!

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC! !!!!!!!!!!

Maybe something has changed and it's not exactly the "same old" lightfields, but a foot high. Are ya scared of the lightfields or something for some reason........are ya flinching and lifting on firing?

JJJJJJJJJJJJCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!

(Just don't call him late for dinner - he can get a might bit awnry)
Old 07-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc cc .....................

where is that rascal?

Think I hear him coming..........
Old 07-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to say it is ballistically impossible, but it think it is.

If the other shells are truely shooting correctly. It is ballistically impossible that the lightfields are shooting 12" high. It is simply not possible forthat bullet to rise over a foot at 100yds.

Here is a quote from Lightfields own page concerning sighting in their shells..

*Slug guns MUST be zeroed (sighted-in) while the slug is supersonic (above 1220 ft/sec in velocity). Therefore you must zero your gun 2 inches high at 50 yards, absolutely centered above your point of aim. You will then be dead-on zeroed at 100 yards because gravity will see to it. Zeroing at 50 yards also cuts down (by approximately 60%) your chance of adjusting windage error into your scope setting.

If you still believe it is the shells I recomend youclick belowand then post the question to... Todd Fritz... on Tar Hunts own chat board....

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfield/ecatalog/index.cfm?pageid=250&id=2&cfid=4491419&amp ;cftoken=26804520

Old 07-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Out of curiouslity, why would the slug need to be supersonic in order to sight it in? Are they saying that as the bullet slows down it greatly destablilizes and cannot be sighted in correctly?

I sight my muzzle loader in at 130 yards, I doubt it supersonic at that distance and I have no touble with accuracy from 25 to 150 yards.

I just don't get why that would make a difference is all. I'm not saying it can't, I just don't understand it is all. However I am far from an engineer. All I know is what I have tried. And I have helped someone set up a shotgun with those shells and we did it at 100 yards with no problems.

Paul
Old 07-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul...I will find out what I can for you...I won't have time to work on it till monday as I am leaving for the weekend. I was telling Uncle matt that I had never that outside of Lightfields comments...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:02 PM

I'm just curious is all, you don't need to bust your ass trying to figure it out or anything. I was wondering if there was a reason according to physics why this would be the case is all. The only thing I can think of is the slugs don't fly stable after they drop to a certain speed. Of course that would effect how they group though.

Paul
Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

This doesn't sound right to me either.

When you zero at a given distance, the bullet will hit high out to that distance, and low beyond it. The only exception is at point blank range, the impact point will still be slightly below the line of sight.

Quick Reply: strange slug issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.