Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Grizzly & brownies

Old 07-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Grizzly & brownies

I had a 416 Rem Mag and I am suprised that it is not more popular than it is. I noticed that in an artical last month in Outdoor life that they list it as an endangered cartridge. I hope not. When I needed that kind of power, I really liked the caliber and the Ruger rifle it came in.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use my .340 Wby. Mag. with a 250 gr. Barnes XFB. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:54 PM

James,
The market for any kind of 416 is not that big, so I'm not sure what that articles criteria was for coming up with that list. It didnot specifically address the 416RemMag in the content of the articlelike they did other cartridges on the list.

At the time I bought my 416 Rigby (2 years ago), the 416RemMag was generally considered the front runner of the 416 pack regarding popularity (NOT performance); however, both Ruger (in the 77)and CZ (in the 550)went with the 416 Rigby which gave the market some choices it didn't have before.

With the 416 Rigby,if you hand load, then itcan be pushed right up to near 416 Weatherby levels. Even with full house loadsone can hear some unfilled powder space inside that huge case when you shake it.Itis kindanice to have that kind of case volume and the lower pressures that tend to go with it.

Any how, hard for me to believethat the 416RemMag's popularityfrom two years ago could be THAT much different today. I find that listing suspect personally. However, knowing Remington if the 416RemMag dies off, then you can bet the 416 RUM will be right around the corner (more case capacity -- more performance).
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 PM
IMR

I have used 300 WIN MAG for guiding dutiesWITH 165 GRAINWIN FAILSAFE but more recent with a 7STW and a handload with a 150 GRAIN NOSLER PARTITION.With proper shot placementI could not tell the difference between them.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

My 416 Rem was a fluke purchase for me. I was in Scheels one day and they had it laying on the counter. I talked to the sales guy and he said another customer had ordered a 416 Rigby. When it came in it was a 416 Remington instead. I bought it for about half price as they figured they would never sell it. Mine was a Ruger No. l. Since I have to shoot left handed because of the loss of my good eye, I could load the No.l as fast as I could work a lefty bolt because I am not left handed. Now the left shoulder is shot and still no right eye so things are getting tougher. They want to put in a new shoulder joint this winter as they say there is no hope for the old joint. Its totally shot. All the stuff that is supposed to be between the bones on the joint is just gone. I asked a carpenter friend of mine if he wanted to put in a bid on the job. All he would need is a steel ball, a plastic socket, some glue and one long screw to fasten the ball to the long arm bone.. Anyway I liked the 416 and it would be as good as it gets for grizzlys and other big critters. I loaded the Barnes X spitzers as well as the Hornady round nose. The Barnes were 400 grain as were they Hornadys. I think I still have two boxes of the Barnes bullets left over. I don't think they would be effective in the 45-70 but I don't know for sure what the recommeded velocity level for them is.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Never hunted grizzly never will, but a 338 win mag with a 250 grain nosler partition and Federal High energy ammo would be a good choice. I have seen some postings with overkill cartridges but I cannot think a better animal to have too much gun for. That being said my cousin has taken 3 large bears with his 30-06, 180 grain nosler partion without event.None ofthe bearsmoved more than 40 yds.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

338 Winchester Magnum as a minimum. In close cover I would use a 45-70 with stout reloads or Garret ammo.