Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Seeking an all around Western Gun

Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 PM

Default RE: Seeking an all around Western Gun

If you are dead set against useing your 30-06 then I would follow you gunsmiths advice w/ one exception...I would make it a savage rifle identicle to the model you already own, know and shoot. Nothing against the winchester, but your alread familiar w/ the Savage and it is a fine rifle so why not just change the caliber and go to town, I mean the mountains with a familiar rifle.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I opt for a .300 Wby. Mag. with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM

Hi Guys. You are scaring me about recoil of a 300 Winchester Mag. I was at the doctors office last week and read Petersons Hunting (don't know which issue). The had the recoil of all the popular calibers and numerically the 300 Win Mag was not a heck of a lot more than the 30.06. I probably won't ever have a chance to shoot one of these guns unless I buy one though. I was at Cabellas yesteday and looked at all of their 30.06 rifles and my favorite was the Model 70. It felt much heavier than all of the others. So is the 300 WM that much of a kicker and how much does the weight of a rifle cut down on recoil. Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The recoil of a .300 magnum is more than a .30-06.....but as you noticed.....not much more. That's simply because the power of a .30-06 isn't far from the power of any of the .300 mags. Typically the .30-06 is bought in a featherweight rifle.....or Remington's mountain rifle and these guns are light enough that their recoil might even equal the .300 Mags in heavier guns.

If you can shoot the .30-06 you can handle the .300 mags as well.....

I often put a heavy pad between me and the but of any of these rifles when shooting from the bench as the recoil can cause a lot of pain after twenty shots. Most of hunting is one shot and a second if you didn't do it right the first time. Recoil is not a serious thing unless you allow it to intimidate you to the point of flinching. If you get there even a .22 rimfire is of no use because the trigger jerk precludes hitting anything at all.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

AMEN!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:47 PM

How much of an effect does a rifle that is heavier have on disappating recoil?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:59 PM

IMO, more important than weight of the rifle is the stock design. The less drop, the better. This is where the "classic" style of stock is better suited to harder kicking cartridges. Stay away from such as Rem.700BDL with its' monte carlo stock. Look to those like the Ruger77 MkII.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Virginia7

IMO, more important than weight of the rifle is the stock design. The less drop, the better. This is where the "classic" style of stock is better suited to harder kicking cartridges. Stay away from such as Rem.700BDL with its' monte carlo stock. Look to those like the Ruger77 MkII.
I have the mcmillan 700BDL copies on all of my rifles including my 300 ultramags and I find the recoil quite manageable.One of the rifles that delivered the most felt recoil for the cartridgethat I have everexperienced was a ruger 270 ultralight in 270win.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 PM

IMHO, the "right" stock to manage recoil varies according to the shooter's body type; there is no one set, right, and correct stock for the purpose of reducing recoil for all people, hence the reason this question constantly goes in circles as folks quote what is best for themselves thinking it applies to everyone else.

For example, forreducing recoil, I find CZ's ugly European "hogback" design to be a godsend; however, I am likely shaped different than others on this thread and the CZ "hogback" will NOT be right for everyone (for those others, they can go to the new "American" CZ model with the "straight back" design).

Again, no set rule.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

30-06 or a 300 win mag if you need the extra range (400+) for elk. good luck

Quick Reply: Seeking an all around Western Gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.