Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

electronic earmuffs work?

Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 AM

Default electronic earmuffs work?

Anyone ever useelectronic earmuffs? Do they really amplify quite sounds and are they worth the money?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:05 AM

Default RE: electronic earmuffs work?

They do work. They block out "harsh" sounds by use of "white noise"...and amplify (somewhat) mild sounds, such as conversation. However, in my opinion, they are a waste of money. As they are more complex than a pair of standard hearing protectors, you need to spend a bit more, to get good ones. The cheap electronic models are just that - cheap. The electronic muffs are not really any more effective at protecting your hearing than the standard type.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 AM

Midway had electronic muffs on sale recently for 29.99 per pair. I purchased 1 pair first to try them out and ended up buying 3 more pair. They work terrific! Allow you to hear range commands with no problem but block out the blast from yours and those around you very effectively. My good friend has a pair he paid $130.+ for and we've compared them side by side. While mine are not as nice as his, I saved over $100 from what he paid and we both agreed that they seemed to work just as good.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:01 AM

I have used these quite a bit over the past ten years. It interesting that you can't hear the .45 ACP going off, but you can very distinctly hear the empty brass case hitting the ground when it ejects. They are not good for hunting, IMO. They amplify sounds close to you a bunch, but don't offer very much help hearing sounds at any distance. I have often wondered if the "Walker's Game Ear" was any better . . . .
Old 07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I have a pair of the Peltors, they are about $140 and they do work. If you shoot clays a lot they are probably worth the money because you don't have to take them off to talk. One advantage is that when the batteries die they still work as well as regular muff. They magnifey sounds but it bugs me to hear my clothes rubbing together and sounds of that nature.