Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ideal rifle weight

Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 AM

Default ideal rifle weight

Lets say your going out west to hunt pronghorns and mulies, with a .270 . Hunting by spot and stalk. What would the ideal bolt action rifle weigh loaded and ready to go?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ideal rifle weight

IMO 7.5 lbs to 9 lbs.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:20 AM

This depends entirely on your preferences and your sensitivity to weight. I am a big guy and even on long hunts, I always preferred a bit heavier rifle, because, for me, they tended to be more stable at the point of shooting, especially after hiking long distances or shooting immediately after moving (stalking). Also, a heavier rifle will have less felt recoil. This is a consideration if shooting a long-range, high-velocity round, with lots of recoil. So, in point of fact, there is NO "ideal" weight for such a rifle. For most people, probably 7.5 to 9 lbs is good. I prefer the upper end of this. My Elk/ Mule Deer rifle was about 8.5 pounds, loaded. You might prefer a lighter weight rifle. It is up to you.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: handwerk
Lets say your going out west to hunt pronghorns and mulies, with a .270 . Hunting by spot and stalk. What would the ideal bolt action rifle weigh loaded and ready to go?
IMO, rifle, scoped and ready to go, approx. 8lbs. for a 270Win.
(No less than 7-1/2, nor more than 8-1/2lbs.)
Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right at 8 lbs full geared and ready for action.
BBJ
Old 07-20-2005, 12:39 PM

The lighter the better IMHO. When I went too WYO last fall I carried my trusty Sako TRG-S Lazzeroni Warbird with a 6x24x50 Swarie on top. I was willing to give up lightweight and quick handling for a package I knew could do the job very easily at any range I needed it to. BUT I grew more bothered than tired of carrying it by the 3rd day. The 28" barrel (26 + a KDF brake) was in the way when sneaking through brush and getting in and out of the truck alot like you do when lope chasin.

On the exact same hunt my brother had his lil Abolt stalker 300WSM and it carried like a jewel. My Sako is a "treestand" rifle and the lil Abolt is a "hunting" rifle. That's why my next 300WSM will be the Abolt Titanium (barely 5#s) and more than likely it will have either a Burris WSM scope or a 3x9x40 or 3.5x10x44 Conquest atop it. (Either scope will have mildots) The only fault I had with my brothers rifle was the 6x20x50 30mm tubed Leupold he had on it. The scope dominates the rifle, but he too primarily uses the gun for treestand hunting so it doesn't matter then.

Most guys are saying 8-10#s, I am 6'4" 240 so size really doesn't matter (so my wife says ) but I just like the way a "barely there" rifle carries when you are looking at walking miles each day. If the gun is gonna be in a scabbard on a horse, atv or sit in your lap in a treestand, then I don't think weight is gonna matter. Also for me, the issue or weight for steadiness is a nil point as well. Both of us had bipods on our guns in WY and I don't think weight will help or hurt when the gun is lying on a solid object.

Good luck,
RA
Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightweight is good.....Mine is a M-70 featherweight and I'd really like it a little lighter.

When picking scope mounts, scope, sling and other accessories keep weight in mind...they add up quickly and make a big difference in the end.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:14 PM
DM

I'm NOT sure how anyone can sit at there puter and tell YOU what rifle weight is best for YOU??????????????

For me, i wouldprefer the total package to NOT be over 7 pounds. I shoot well with a lighter rifle, so why pack a beached whale????

Drilling Man