Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

excessive barrel fouling

Old 07-20-2005, 12:13 AM

Default excessive barrel fouling

I just got a new Walther P22 .22 cal semi-auto pistol. I have developed a love/hate relationship with my new purchase. First the gun is a bit temperamental when it comes to ammunition, I had read about this in the forum here and else where.

I have noticed an excessive amount of fouling in the barrel. I am not sure if it is lead or powder residue what I do know is it was very difficult to get out. I had shot about 150 rounds and then went directly home to clean it. But cleaning solvent and a boar brush didn't get it out. I had let the solvent soak for more then an hour before I was able to get it brake loose but then I still have to run a swap through the barrel and then use the brush again before getting it clean.

I was using Winchester ammo, the cheap stuff in the 500 round box from Wal-Mart. What do you guys think is the cause of the fouling? Ithink it was lead and not powder residue would you agree?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 AM

Default RE: excessive barrel fouling

Well, IMO the first thing I would think that could have caused it was the 150 shots without cleaning in between about 50 shots or so but thats me.

Try some of the Outers Bore Foam and let it sit for about 30mins to an hour then run through it with a bore brush and then a patch or bore snake. The bore foam has worked really good for me so far.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

something ive found helpful for excessive barrel fouling is use a bore brush a size bigger, for example your gun is 22 cal use a 25 cal brush just make full strokes dont change directions in the middle of the barrel that could cause you to scratch the bore. My 45's get a lot of lead fouling since i shoot mostly lead cast reloads my 45 bore brush is a bit on the small side since its cut to be used in a 40 cal aswell I found a 50 cal bore brush to work great. asfar as solvents go I found the a 50/50 mix of kroil and hoppes #9 to really get the lead loose, but if its a fairly new gun theres a good chance of having rough spots in the bore that just grab lead like no tomorrow and the lead basically solders itself to the rough spots, in this case you will want to use JB bore paste and clean the bore after every 50 shots with the bore paste for the first 500 rounds this will ensure a good smooth, rough spot free bore. good luck
Old 07-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

How does it shoot?

If it shoots good, I would leave the bore as is and just clean the rest of the pistol. Cleaning .22 rimfire bores for the sake of vanity is a good way to ruin them.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 AM

If it shoots good, I would leave the bore as is and just clean the rest of the pistol. Cleaning .22 rimfire bores for the sake of vanity is a good way to ruin them.
I have heard this before I think there was a very long thread about if this is a true statement or not. I am not sure why a .22 would be any different other then there is a greater chance of the rob rubbing on the rifling. I suppose this could cause the barrel to degrade over time, however it is my opinion that the amount of fouling I have encountered would have been detrimental, even dangerous, to leave go. I will continue to clean my .22 cal pistol and take my chances.