Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best hunting rifle, money not an option

Old 07-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best hunting rifle, money not an option

I forgot you were lefthanded. Your options are going to be limited. Take a look at this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=34872606
Old 07-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not on your list but I'd certainly be getting a M-70
Old 07-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sako is a very nice rifle so I would suggest to just go down and handle one. You just might not want to give it back once you have it in your hands when at the store.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

DM is right in a way. A custom rifle made just for you would be nice to own. However custom rifles are not a good investment money wise. For the same reason it fits your need perfectly, It fits almost nobody elses needs. I just read a good article about custom guns as an investment. Although it works sometimes it not really a good bet.

I have also read in the last year, a couple good articles comparing varmit rifles from Savage, Sako, Ruger and NEF. While all the rifles shot groups in the half inch range, In both tests the Savage shot the best groups. This was in calibers from 223 to 243. We have duplicated these tests at our gun club and its very seldom that any stock from the box rifle can out shoot the Savage rifles. I have owned many many rifles and Savage has always been about the best shooters along with Remingtons and some Sako's. I have not owned very many Winchesters that were not Lever guns and have the least expierence with them. In general, Money has not been an automatic answer for accuracy. The three most accurate rifles I have owned were, A 270 Remington 760 pump. A Model 38 Swedish Mauser, A Savage Over/Under 30-30 over 20 Ga. A few more that were outstanding were two 700 Remingtons one in 280 and one in 257 Roberts. A Savage 340 in 22 Hornet and a NEF in 223. The most consistant with any possible load was a 788 Remington in 308.. One more unlikely tack driver was a Marlin Lever action 44 Magnum rifle. Last but not least a Savage heavy barreled Police model in 223. Good Luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best choice would be a custom rifle.You can choose the stock style and dimensions so it fits you perfectly and choose the barrel length and contour to provide the balance and overall weight that you wish.A blueprinted action and match grade barrel with proper bedding would provide consistant accuracy.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 PM

Kimber and CZ are my fav's and arein your price range. I was going to suggest something by Kenny Jarret or Lazeroni (5-8 grand) but I saw you ammendment to your original post stipulating 1500 bucks or so.
okcmco
Old 07-21-2005, 04:41 AM

I agree with most, sako is the top of the list in production rifles. I just got a new hunter in.270 off gunsamerica for $800 and topped it with a leupold vx-II 3x9. With the great trigger,smooth action and short bolt lift it is a treat to shoot. I however have bought 3 tikka t-3's and am very happy with them for the price. The sako is a pound heavier than my tikka's but it has a beautiful stock and metal where as tikka has some polymer. They both shoot wonderfully.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:36 PM

My choice would be a Weatherby, first choice is the .300 and then the .270
Old 07-21-2005, 02:01 PM

If I had the money to spend on a top quality gun, I would buy a Sako. But since I have limited funds to spend on hunting and fishing equipment, I think I am going to settle for a Tikka, a Remington, or a Ruger, fine quality guns with a good price ranges.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 PM

I don't know if they make a left handed model but by far the BEST trigger I have ever felt was on a Kimber 8400. The rifle is modeled after the Winchester M70 but it is a much better gun IMO. The trigger will make it more accurate to shoot and it comes in three calibres. 270WSM, 7mmWSM and 300WSM.

TEXAS

Quick Reply: Best hunting rifle, money not an option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.