Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Okay we heard about the 30-30, now how about .300 or 30-30 for Black Bear and up

Old 07-19-2005, 06:13 PM

Default RE: Okay we heard about the 30-30, now how about .300 or 30-30 for Black Bear and up

300 wsm no contest
Ive never hunted bear but I have seen countless bear hunts on TV and I cannot remember the last time I saw one not using a bolt action. This even includes grizzlys. Its my impression that people consider black bears lightweights.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Okay we heard about the 30-30, now how about .300 or 30-30 for Black Bear and up

ORIGINAL: texhookem
Its my impression that people consider black bears lightweights.

Very true when you have a camera man with you, a boom man, and another guy with a rifle behind you to cover you.

But in reality (Aka not tv) it is me, 6 miles from the nearest road, 1 rifle, 7 days, and alot of bear in bear country.

In the county I am going to, it is one of the smallest counties in NC, last year they killed over 300 bears in a 2 week timeline.

The total population of the county from the 2003 census is just under 200 , the rest of the county is swamplands and very densly thick forested patches.

I spent today calling people in the county, (Used Yahoo and just called random people) to ask about the bears.

A lady informed me that the bear population there is massive because for years the state has done studies on bears there, they feed them and they tag them, they have bait stations , she said it is nothing here to see bears in the road as you drive into town, or to see bears in the "town" (consisting of a general store and a gas station)

I am hoping that after shooting one and dragging it back I won't pickup to many "sniffers" coming to see what all the smell is about.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grendle

In NC you can only take 1 weapon with you hunting, even a rifle and pistol is "illegal" but I dont care if I have to stick that pistol where the sun dont shine, its coming wiht me.

I am a very good shot,

Your statement "you must be a small guy if you are this scared of a black bear aka honey bears, maybe you have no business with them??."

Last year in NC the average weight of the bb killed in the mountains was just over 300lbs and on the TN border the had one that weighed close to 600.

No one in the world can gaurantee a "great" or even "good" shot. You could shot hundreds of shots a year and that one critical shot you could fubar.

Yes, at 150lbs, I don't want to be pissing off a 600lb bear.

This is what Im dealing with:

http://www.ncsu.edu/news/press_releases/02_11/295.htm

The bears there are large; the largest black bear ever taken in North Carolina came from Craven County and tipped the scales at 880 pounds. "It's not uncommon for male black bears in the coastal plains to grow to be 500, 600 or 700 pounds. We're talking about a very healthy group of bears,"

wow those are some big honey bears lol Ive heard of them getting that big just never seen them that big especially where ive hunted them, The biggest i killed just tipped the scale at 320 lbs and for the area it was considered a larger male my others were avarage between 200 to 280 lbs, the largest Id ever saw for the area weighed at 380 lbs.

I think with bears that size you might be better off asking advice from those who are avid in hunting alaskan brown bears lol. yea at 150 lbs i see why you wouldnt want to piss off a 600 lbs bear, myself Im 6'7" 355lbs, its obvious why my dad calls me "Grizzly Adams" lol. Id still say go with the 300 WSM. good luck