Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm Rem Mag in 24'' barrel??? Does it make much differance?

Old 07-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm Rem Mag in 24'' barrel??? Does it make much differance?

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

24" is a fine barrel for the Mag....
Agreed.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:41 AM

24" is usually the standard test barrel length for all non-magnum (rifle) cartridges. 26", however, has become the standard (test barrel) for most of the magnum cartridges. (The ballistics tables don't always mention this, but it is true.) There is a bit of a gain in velocity, more so with magnum cartridges than others, in using a 26" barrel (as someone has mentioned). However, this must be balanced with the handling characteristics of the rifle. In my experience, 26" barrels are most often used for open- plains shooting...or even varmit shooting. This doesn't entail moving the rifle much (or carrying it far)....and usually shooting from some sort of rest or bipod. For any sort of woods or brush hunting, a 24" barrel is more convenient... and a reasonable compromise (for magnum cartidges). A 22" barrel is a good compromise for non-magnum cartridges, unless a short, handy barrel (20", usually), is desired.

These "compromise" barrel lengths are quite fine for any concievable hunting situation, so this is not an issue that I would spend much time worrying over. My Elk rifle always wore a 24" barrel (Browning A-bolt, in 7mm Mag). This was fine. If I had been using a non-magnum cartridge....22" would have been my choice.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually all of my hunting rifles wear 26" barrels but then they are in high capacity cartridges that require longer barrels to achieve decent ballistics.I have backpacked for sheep and goat in the mountains,hunted elk and deer in the fields andfoothills and I have never found the 26" barrels to cause me any problems.Iactually prefer the slightly muzzle heavy balance that a longer barrel provides,especially with cartridges that provide substancial recoil.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:35 PM

If you are a deer hunter, the big 7 shoots a 140 gr Nosler with 75 gr Retumbo at 3130.....my Tikka 24 inch barrel. My Sako '06 shoots a 168 gr Nosler at 2820 with 57 gr 4350......23 inch barrel.

At 300+ yards, the '06 has more energy.....you lose 2 inches or so in drop.

If you have an '06 already, the big 7 isnot necessary as the '06 is a superior Elk/Moose rifle.

If you are deer hunting only, the flatter big 7 is a great cartridge. Regards, Rick
Old 07-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

At 300+ yards, the '06 has more energy.....you lose 2 inches or so in drop.
Maybe with your very mild handloads,but not if both cartridges are loaded to design pressures with the same style of bullet and optimum powders for the cartridge.

the '06 is a superior Elk/Moose rifle.
In your opinion.An opinion that many other people including myself would disagree with after seeing many elk and moose killed with both cartridges.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

If you already have a 30.06, do you really need a 7mm mag? They are both pretty much the same. Why not look into something even bigger or smaller and have a wider range. Not questioning your choice, just trying to learn since they are so similar.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Semi.
There is not enough between the two with simalar barrels,I say go with a .338 win mag or a 25-06 and be happy.
BBJ
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GorV

I was told that if I were to shot a 300wby(24'') against a tarpI would notice alot of unburnt powder....I assume the same would be the case with a 7mm!?!?!...
I'm pretty certain that's mostly a myth. From what I've read on this subject, practically all the powder is burned within the first few inches of the rifle bore.The hot gases continue to expand, however, andso the bullet continues to accelerate until it leaves the muzzle. A26 inch barrelwill yield more velocity than a comparable 24 inch barrel.

My 7mm mag Sako 75 has a 24" barrel and while I may not be getting the velocity a 26" barrel would produce, I get all I need.

As far as the 7mm mag vs. .30-06 thing is concerned, I'd have to say the difference is barelyworth talking about. Over the years I've owned more rifles chambered for the7mm mag (5) than any other cartridge and I can't remember seeing them do anything that couldn't also be done with a .30-06. I like em' both.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

48th guns you could not be more correct. Handloads in the 06 with Barnes 180 grain XLC bullets at max case capacity and pressure deliver 2157 LBS of Kinetic energy at 400 yards. That is actually ahead of any 7MM handload by any manual that I have ever seen. So the 7MM is not a step up nor is it going to deliver superior energy or momentum vs the 06 at the muzzle or downrange. The big game advantage is to the 06. The 7MM shines vs the 06 with lighter bullets and smaller gamewith aslightly flatter trajectory. Keep in mind the 06 MPBR is still 300 yards with a 165 grain bullet. Longer than most of us have any business shooting at game under hunting conditions. I think getting a cartridge with some separation makes more sense. 300Weatherby etc.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

48th guns you could not be more correct. Handloads in the 06 with Barnes 180 grain XLC bullets at max case capacity and pressure deliver 2157 LBS of Kinetic energy at 400 yards.That is actually ahead of any 7MM handload by any manual that I have ever seen.
You have to realize that this information is based solely on one load in one manual and this datahas not even been verified by the person posting it.According to the data listed in six other manuals,the 7mm remmag delivers more velocity and more energy than the 30-06 using similar weight bullets.It is up to you whether you decide to believe one manual or six manuals.

Quick Reply: 7mm Rem Mag in 24'' barrel??? Does it make much differance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.