Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who makes a better gun

Old 07-04-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Who makes a better gun

What company do you guys think makes a better rifle: Remington or Ruger? I'm thinking about now; their current models, materials, and designs, not about the guns they used to make. Which gun is built stronger, more reliable, and stands up longer to time? I don't own a rifle made by either company but who does and what do you think?
Old 07-04-2005, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Who makes a better gun

remington. i just dont care for the ruger brand, rifles NEway
Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think i'd say remington also. i like rugers and everything but i still think i'd go with remington. its probably because i've shot more remingtons than rugers.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good question and it will be a matter of opinion. I have had quite a few of both brands. Both have strong actions so I would say they atre about equal in that area. Remington has a better trigger because its adjustable and with a little practice I am now able to adjust them to be a very good trigger. Accuracy wise They are both pretty darn good but in the ones I have owned, Remington has the edge because I have had a couple Rugers that would not shoot no matter what. Never Had a Remington that had to go because it would not group well enough to get the job done. Most Of my Rugers have been fine but there were a few that were not. Since you asked about these two brands only I would have to vote Remington. My biggest single complaint with Ruger is their trigger.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Host of Hosts

I guess this isn't really a fair answer since I have never had a Ruger bolt action centerfire, only 10/22's and a mini 14( which was very poor in the accuracy dept.), so I have to say Remington too.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say Ruger. They're well known for thier over strength revolvers so I'd think the same would hold true to an extent with their rifles. After all, they chamber from the littlest to the biggest African cartridges. Never really hear much bad about either as far as quality goes. Just with the metalurgy behind Ruger I'd think they'd withstand a bit more prolonged usage. I've shot Reminton's also and did like them. Asthetically, though I prefer the Rugers also. Thier scope mounting system I prefer too. Either is a very well made gun with a company backing them.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

They both have goods and bads about them.

Remingtons receiver is machined from a solit billet of steel while Rugers is cast. Actually, almost everything on a Ruger is cast.

Remingtons extractor is crap IMHO while Ruger has a massive claw extracttor.

Remington has an easily adjustable and workable trigger while Ruger has one of the worst triggers in the business and requires much more work or an aftermarket trigger to get to acceptable standards.

Ruger has an integrated recoil lug while Remington uses a recoil lug sandwiched between the barrel and the receiver. Better to have the barrel mate up and torqued directly to the receiver

Rugers receiver has a flat bottom for a more stable platform while Remingtons receiver is round and is easier to move around.

Ruger has machined into thier receiver slots for rings to fir while a Remington is drilled and tapped. While Rugers are certainly one of the strongest systems I personally I prefer the drill and tap to rugers system. I just allows more options when mounting a scope.

If I had to shoose one I would choose the Remington. All in all I think it is a better rifle and easier to work with than a Ruger.

However I think that a Howa is a better rifle than either one. It has many of the best traits of many different rifles. Such as flat bottomed receiver with an integrated recoil lug machined from a solit billet of steel, a massive M16 type extractor, Remingtons famous "three rings of steel" design, a one piece bolt machined from a solit billet of steel with three gas ports, an adjustable and easily workable trigger.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:11 PM

everyone likes to talk about howa and sako and other top name rifles. once you get over 800bux a rifle its useually out of most normal peoples price range. I think a good remington or winchester would handle just as good and kill the same as the rest of them,
Old 07-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

SHoNUFF,

You do know that a Howa laminated thumbhole varmint rifle in stainless typically sells for right at $600 and that their lightning and hunter rifles sell for just a tad over $300.

Both use the same barreled action. Stocks get upgraded as price increases.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Matthew V. (An outdoorsman)
What company do you guys think makes a better rifle: Remington or Ruger? I'm thinking ... current models..... Which gun is built stronger, more reliable, and stands up longer to time?....
I've owned several Remingtons and several Rugers over the years. Bothmake fine rifles. My current rifles include one older model Ruger, a newer model, and acurrent Remington rifle.

A lot depends on what you want infeatures such as two vs. three position safeties, triggers, extractors, push feed vs. controlled feeding, etc.

If you're looking to a stainless model, I'd pick either a Reminton or Winchester. Rugers are too shiny, but then again, a gunsmith can cut that down - and can also lighten the trigger.

For just plain durability/ruggedness I'd go with Ruger. If I had to bet on out-of-box accuracy, I'd chance the Remington, though I've had a couple of VERY accurate Rugers too.

Quick Reply: Who makes a better gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.