Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Manufacturers.... Suggestions?

Old 06-23-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Barrel Manufacturers.... Suggestions?

I'm getting down to the nitty gritty on my custom gun, and need some advice. Here is whatI havealready decided on: new 116 drop magazine version Savage action (blueprinted) aluminum pillar and glass bedded to McMillan stock, and match grade .284 stainless barrel from either Krieger, Lilja, or Shilen. Chambered to 7MM Rem Mag (I know not real exotic, but ohh well). Now heres where I need help. I want a fairly heavy barrel (IE #4 or #5 contour) and will have McMillan weight the stock to balance the gun. I figure the stock should way just about what the barreled action weighs, correct?

So:
I'm shooting for a finished weight of9-9.25lbs (without scope), am I in danger of creating a barrel heavy monster with the contours listed???
Barrel length... 24",25", or 26"???
Twist.... stay with 9.5" to 1 or something else (BTW... 140-160 grainers)???
Number of grooves??? Huh? Does it really matter? Whats the standard???

Any opinions on the barrel makers above? I know Krieger cut-rifles his barrels, a possible benefit. I've heard good things about Shilen as well and they are very helpful on the phone. Lilja seems to be very state of the art and technical, but I don't know anyone shooting their barrels.

I've gotta be making a decision by the first of next week, so thanks in advance for your help

Zac
Old 06-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barrel Manufacturers.... Suggestions?

go to shooter service an take a look at pac-nor barrels the people I know at the range love these barrels. sound like a nice gunyou are building keep usposted on how it shoot good luck
Old 06-23-2005, 07:32 AM

Anyone of the three you mentioned will provide you an excellent barrel.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:13 AM
bigcountry

I wasn't very happy with my last Krieger. It was ok. Shot ok, but much rougher than I was used too. I highly suggest a Lilja or Hart at this point.Even Shilen does a good job.Also, its your gun, whats the reasoning behind the savage action? For a full out custom, many more options for you that are well proven in the custom world.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:30 AM

bigcountry, I chose the Savage for a couple of reasons, although I'm not adamant about using one. 1) NOT cast 2) drop magazine 3)reasonably priced
I looked at remington but was unimpressed and couldn't locate a DM version in stainless. Montana actions seem to be pretty rough and again no DM. etc and so on....
What did you have in mind bigcountry?? BTW, I have heard some others say the same thing about the newer kriegers, Lilja is where I'm leaning. Any advice on twist, contour etc?
Zac
Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 AM

Custom Shooter? Lilja
Old 06-23-2005, 11:16 AM

I vote Lilja 3 groove. I am having two custom guns being built with Lilja barrels. One is a 25-284 just about done. The second isa 270 UM improved. I have read that the Lilja 3 groove fouls less than the others. Also Lilja claims there is a velocity gain with the 3 groove over the others. How much? Who knows. Most guys I read that have them say they saw no velocity gain, but noticed significant less fouling.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

I think my mauser 98 has a Douglas barrel, my uncle built it for me, anyways it is 24" chambered in 30-06 and it will touch holes at 100 yards. I only paid $65 for it a few years ago.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Zac, find you a good Gunsmith with a small shop withbarrel
making equipment. Most shops today are backed-up with work
and don't have much time for quality control. I have used Hart
before they got really big, but today is not like the old days.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Elkhntr04, I called Lilja and was told that they don't offer the 3 groove in the .284 barrels [&:], at least notyet.

Rebel, I completely agree... I would LOVE to find a small, well qualified, trustworthy gunsmith in my area, unfortunately I don't know of one. (At least not that I would trust). So, I'm stuck shipping guns all over the country to get the work donewith the quality I expect.

What twist sinceLilja doesn't dohalves? 1 in 9" or 1 in 10"? Any disadvantagewith a 1 in 9 with lighter bullets?

Quick Reply: Barrel Manufacturers.... Suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.