Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Manufacturers.... Suggestions?

Old 06-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Barrel Manufacturers.... Suggestions?

Zac, wait tillRoscoe logins-in on the forum, he's a gunsmith in
Colorado, I beleive.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM

Zac, Man that is to bad. They will be very soon. My gunsmith has developed his own line of rounds and strictly uses Lilja for them. I know he has .257, 6.5, .277, and soon he is adding a 7mm version, .300 and .338. So I suspect within a few months he will have them going. I can ask my smith for a exact date.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:36 PM

Rebel, have you used Roscoe for custom work before?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Zac, no I have'nt, buthe can recommend one close to you.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:12 PM

Great! Thanks Rebel
Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM

It's possible to get a bad barrel from any good barrel manufacturer. I have had really good luck with Krieger. They are cryo frozen and profiled before they are shipped. Single point cut. Big Country - if you got a lemon from Krieger, call them - odds are they will replace it. Hart and Liljaare also very good. I haven't gotten a good Shilen in about two years. Don't know what is going on there . . .

And there is a little knownbarrel maker, who shall remain nameless, that has a little one man shop in the mountains that I have gotten a few barrels from in the past year. The first one, after threading and chambering - and firing ten break in shot, shot a 1/4" group with the first five bullets that went through it
Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 PM

Roskoe, any suggestions on a gunsmith in my neck of the woods?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ZAC exactly what kind of rifle are you building other then a very heavy rifle? What is its purpose?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

It's possible to get a bad barrel from any good barrel manufacturer. I have had really good luck with Krieger. They are cryo frozen and profiled before they are shipped. Single point cut. Big Country - if you got a lemon from Krieger, call them - odds are they will replace it. Hart and Liljaare also very good. I haven't gotten a good Shilen in about two years. Don't know what is going on there . . .

And there is a little knownbarrel maker, who shall remain nameless, that has a little one man shop in the mountains that I have gotten a few barrels from in the past year. The first one, after threading and chambering - and firing ten break in shot, shot a 1/4" group with the first five bullets that went through it
I agree Roskoe. Seen many a good Krieger. But if you look thru it with a borescope, you can see the single point cutting lines. I thought that might had something to do with its copper fouling. Even after 400 rounds from a 300RUM, you could still see the distinct cuts from the single point work. And with a borescope still see the copper in there after scrubbing my heart out or 2 or three overnight applications of wipe out.

I sold it off. It shot well, but didn't want to get into this arguing match that my gunsmiths ream job was the cause of copper fouling.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:54 PM

oldelkhunter, This gun will primarily be my deer gun, although I won't officially limit it to that alone. I'm aiming for right around 9 lbs unscoped, plus scope and rings should come to approx. 10 lbs. Some might think its too heavy, but for the limited walking I do while deer hunting , it will be fine.

Quick Reply: Barrel Manufacturers.... Suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.