Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes

Old 06-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes

I am real curious to see how well these scopes perform. I will probably look real serious at a Redfield whenever they make it to the dealer that is. I will not buy the Simmons ..they are entirely made in China and I don't want any part of that scene. The Redfields will be made in the US and some foreign assemblies will be used as well. No different then Leupold or Burris in that respect.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes

I have heard of the redfield scopes, in the past, how have they stacked up? I had a simmons for my first scope, the relief was too short, smacked me in the eye. I am looking for a new scope for the .243 I just got last night. Any advice? EJ
Old 06-25-2005, 01:03 PM

I haven't seen the new Simmons scopes, but one nice side-effect is that places are starting toclose out the old scopes. The Bass Pro Shop in Dallas (and elsewhere, I presume) has Simmons 44 Mag 3-9x44 scopes for $80, which is about half price.

These scopes are made in the Phillipines, not China., and have a reputation for being pretty good.

They've also got some AETEC scopes on sale.

You might want to have a look...
Old 06-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Regardless of where they are made, the present Aetecs are the best bargin out there. The new ones (Aetec) won't have the 5 inches of eye relief. I have an old Redfield 30-35 years old. 2x7 Tracker. Its been the best scope I ever owned, bar none. Its been on rifles from my 222 to my 416 Rem Mag Ruger No. One. Its never blinked so far. Its now on my 308 Browning A Bolt.

Another lower priced scope than done well for me are the Swift. Both the Premier and the lower priced one(about 100.00 for a 3x9x40). I have one on my 280 (3x9) and the Prmier 4x12 on my other 308.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

I have heard of the redfield scopes, in the past, how have they stacked up? I had a simmons for my first scope, the relief was too short, smacked me in the eye. I am looking for a new scope for the .243 I just got last night. Any advice? EJ
Heh heh..... was I some how responsible for you purchasing a .243
Old 06-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i don't know about the new redfields but the old ones are really good. my dad has a 3-9 that's been on his '06 for upwards of 30 years. i liked the one on his so much that i bought one almost just like it to put on my '06.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awhile back I picked up a used (new production) Redfield 3x9 scope which I haven't mounted yet..It looks fairly decent.Redfield and Simmons will have to make allot of improvments to get anywhere near the quality of the original Redfield's.Some of mine are over 30 years old and still as good as the day I bought them.I hope Redfield can come back to being a quality scope likethey were years ago before going belly up.Time will tell.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

For the money, Simmons Aetec.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Redfield, Simmons, and Weaver have all been bought by the Meade company (telescopes). They are all manufactured under the same parent company now and will all have very similar qualities about them.

I'm sure that Meade being in control the new scopes will be of very good quality.

I noticed that the Simmons master series of scopes have been made with machined one piece tubes and a lot less parts than before. A huge improvement right there.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both Weaver and Simmons scopes. They are both good scopes for the price and I’m looking forward in purchasing another Weaver Grand Slam scope. The Weaver doesn’t have the most eye relief but for a low recoil rifle it’s perfect.

Quick Reply: New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.