Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problem setting up my scope

Old 06-20-2005, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Problem setting up my scope

I’ve come across a problem when sighting in my scope. The elevation on the cross hairs are set as low as possible and still the rifle shoots 10” low ( + or -) at 25 yards. I was thinking of placing shim stock between the base and the rifle but I’m not sure if this is the best way of solving this problem. The setup I have is Leupold standard base and rings. I will take it all apart and start over to see if might have done something wrong but never had this problem before. Any suggestion on how to solve this problem?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:29 AM

Default RE: Problem setting up my scope

shim it. in an emergency, i've found cut up coke cans work well for shim material. it doesn't take much...
Old 06-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I worked on remington 700 recently that had an alignment problem between the barrel and the action that caused this same issue. The solution I used was to call Leupold. They mailed me the exact shims that I needed for the bases that I had. This might work for you.

Tom
Old 06-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

From the response , sounds like the shims are the way to go. It just so happens that the rifle is a new Remington model 700 VLS. Hopefully this isn’t something that happens to often. I will start from scratch to see if I’ve done something wrong and reset the cross hairs on the scope. I might just have to contact Leupold as statjunk suggested. Thanks.....
Old 06-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a gun with those rings, but is it possible that you have a "front" and a "rear" ring/base? Perhaps you installed them backwards?

There's always a chance that the receiver is to blame, but I'd suspect the mounts/rings first. Set your scope back to zero, tear it all down and start over.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

It’s impossible to install them backwards. The front ring match's the base for the dovetail and the back ring is flat to sit on the base so that they can be adjusted side to side by the machine screw on the base and the base can only be installed one way to match the receiver. Thanks any ways.....
Old 06-20-2005, 02:07 PM

I have adressed problems like this before by machining the bottom half of the front ring a little lower with an indexible fly cutter set at a .500 radius (for 1" rings). This will make the gun shoot higher, and you can take care of the windage issues with the screws on the rear ring.

To determine how much to machine, try to get the scopes crosshairs back to about the middle of their adjustment and then determine how low it shoots at 100 yards. Let's say this is 20". Then measure the distance between the rings. Let's say this is 5.4" Set up a ratio: 20" in 3600" (100 yards) = x over 5.4". In this instance, x is .030. After cutting 30 thousands out of the bottom of the front ring, you must also cut .030 off of the "pad" where the two ring halves meet. Then lap the rings get full contact on the bottom halves.

You can also set the base up to shave a little angle from front to rear, but is usually easier, from a machinist standpoint, to just lower the ring. Shims will work, but they are generally regarded a "K-Mart"solution.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

10 inches low at only 25 yards? Something really is messed up here. Have you tried a different scope? If you insert a cleaning rod into the barrel and out the back of the receiver does it appear to be parallel to the receiver's axis? (may be hard to tell since rodscan flex)Are you sure the rings are the same height? Just some things to consider.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:42 PM

Oops - I read over the original post kinda quick - thought it said 10" at 100 yards. This is a pretty severe alignment problem. Is the gun an old military rifle that has been sporterized?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Shimming up the rear mount will do the trick just fine. I had to do this with my muzzleloader over 3 years ago and have never had a problem with that scope & mount since. I used feeler guage that I cut to size and drilled to match themounting holes.

Another thing to try is the Burris Signature rings. They have inserts to snug up the scope and they offer an off-set kit of inserts that allows you to readjust the scope without messing with the mounts --------- but that system may not offer enough adjustment for your problem. I also believe Burris sells shims in different sizes for the mounts as well.

Quick Reply: Problem setting up my scope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.