Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problem setting up my scope

Old 06-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problem setting up my scope

That’s basically what I did except at 25 yards. Looked at the target thru the barrel and compared it to the image of the scope, but I had shot 5 rounds to confirm what I had seen.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:58 PM

trailer 25 yards is to close. you should try aleast a 100 yards or more. at 25 yards the error will not show up very good. at a 100 or more the error will be easy to spot. if the error is as bad as i think you will most likely never be able to even spot the object in your scope. one other think that i just remembered doing one time. was to remove the scope mounts and tighten them down from the other side of the action. i believe it was a .22 one time that i used all the adjustment up on the scope and could not bring the shot into the middle. just by tighten down on the other side cured the sighting problem.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:53 PM

trailer 25 yards is to close. you should try aleast a 100 yards or more. at 25 yards the error will not show up very good.
I always start at 25 yards and get it dead on and then move out to 100 and go from there.
It is a lot easier to see what it's doing at 25 yards than 100 yards. JMHO ; just my 2 cents,there are 98 more
Old 06-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those interested ,I finally had a chance to go to the range this morning and test my rifle. Ended up placing two pieces of 0.008” shim stock between the back of the base and receiver to solved the problem. Now I have lots of adjustment with my scope and was able to sight it in at 100 yards. Now to start reloading and start testing loads.

There was nothing wrong with my original set up and I also found nothing wrong with the rings and base. I guess it has something to do with the receiver and barrel. Something must be out of line. Hopefully I have solved the problem with out having to bring it in to the gunsmith. I’m not sure if gunsmith could do anything but it would be under warranty. I’ll leave it as is. Thanks again to all those who replied and tried to help me in solving my problem....
Old 06-25-2005, 06:17 PM

wow i would have never thought it would had been in the machining of the gun. i'll have to remember that. good luck