Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problem setting up my scope

Old 06-20-2005, 04:15 PM

Default RE: Problem setting up my scope

I'd send the scope back to leupold and tell them the problem. They will usually send you a free scope back as long as you filled out and mailed in the warranty.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
bigcountry

Wow, 10" at 25 yards. There is something seriously wrong here. A problem like this, I wouldn't bandade by shimming, or grinding or whatever. I would find the root of the problem.

I have had trouble out of cheap simmons and even burris signaturelike this. Thats the reason I buy leupold scopes. Lots of adjustment. What kinda scope is it? I know you said it was leupold bases and rings, but not the scope.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

He also didn't say what size rings he's using.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all the interest in trying to solve my problem. As stated I will start over and measure the rings to see if they happen to be different in height, but I dough it. I’m usually very careful and take my time when installing a scope, but maybe I did something wrong.

The scope is a 6-20 x 40mm Weaver Grand Slam with a 1” tube that was mounted on my No 1 Ruger. This scope gave me no trouble. I can mount another scope with higher mounts to see if anything changes. If I have time tonight I’ll start over and see what happens. Thanks again .....
Old 06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not 100% on this but I believe that higher mounts will make the problem worse. The rem 700 that I was talking about waslow 16" at 25 yds. Three shims fixed the problem. In your case because this is a new rifle, I would consider attempting to find the source before deciding to shim.

Just my .02

Tom
Old 06-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

statjunk, I was going to use the medium mounts just to see if there would have been any differences. I have intentions to stay with the low mounts for this set up once it’s said and done.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:54 AM
bigcountry

Well, its not the top of the line scope but should have enough adjustment.

I tell you a problem I ran into just last month. I got a set of Leupold STD 1" rings. And they were out of round. I looked at the bottom of the dovetail ring and it was bent where you couldn't get the top on. So I sure wouldn't look over the rings.

10" at 25 yards is like 40MOA adjustment.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It’s definitely not top of the line but should be fine for my set up. I will inspect the rings and mount allot closer to see for any defects. Thanks..
Old 06-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know what the outcome is. I'd like to know. Good luck with it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM

have you tried removing your bolt. thenput your gun in a gun vise or on sand bags where it will not move. look threw your barrel andaline the borepicture on an object out about100 yards.then go to your scope and see if you can aline your cross hairs to meet on the same object. if you can aline the two and it still hits 10 inch low at 25 yards it is usually the scope. if you can not aline the two then you must shim.but i have also seen where the mounting screws in the stock were not tighten evenly and this can make the gun shoot weird. good luck just my two cents

Quick Reply: Problem setting up my scope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.