Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Mark II Sporter Issues?

Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Mark II Sporter Issues?

Thank OldElk. I am going to have to go see one.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I would have to say I agree with Oldelkhunter. I have owned both rifles mentioned and I prefer the Vanguard. One note not listed is that the vanguard will come with an accuracy guarantee. This will be 3 shots within 1.5" at 100 yards with premium ammo. The gun also comes with a target proving this. If you will take a look on the Weatherbywebsite the vanguard is available in several grades and chambered forthe 300 Win. Mag and the 300 WSM. The base model vanguard synthetic runs $378 at Wal Mart in my neck of the woods. If you are willingto spend a little more money you could have Bass Pro order you a Vanguard Sub-Moa that will come with an accuracty guarantee of .99" or less at 100 yards. Good luck with whatever you decide. Remember buy what suits you best not me and you will keep yourself happy.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Ruger makes very good guns. I have the MK II standard all weather 300 WSM and my rifle will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. As for the scope rings and bases I think it is one of the best systems out there. You don't have to worry about the bases coming loose and I have never had my rings come loose. It will porbably need a trigger job, whitch you could do your self, I did. I printed the directions off of the internet and did my own trigger job. It is at 3 pounds now. It was at 5 pounds.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll have to decide which you like and what fits you the best.I have my share of the Ruger M-77's.In all honesty some have never been fired. The ones that have all are good shooters.You might have to try different loads or factory ammo until you get one it likes. My 7mm RM didn't like the Federal Premuim Ballistic Tips.It eats the Remington CoreLokts up.The triggers are a weak spot on the Ruger's. They can be cleaned up nicely.The Intregal scope rings are very strong and will not loosing up.That right there will save you quite a bit,.I personally think it's a great scope mounting system.I have both Blued/ Walnut stocks and the"'All Weather" models.I prefer the AW.mainly for the durability. The Tikka Whitetail Hunters are nice and reasonably priced.At least they were a couple years back.That's probably changed like most have gone up considerably.Take your time look at several different rifles. We mightlike something andyou may not..You've been given some good advice.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

In a nutshell if you want a quality CRF rifle look at a Commercial Mauser or Model 70 action. If you want a really good PF action you would have to spend double that of a vanguard to get any measurable difference. I have owned both guns in both CM and SS and they both shot very well. If I had to choose it would be the VAnguard easily over the Ruger.
Not to get too off topic of this great discussion, but how would one compare the Rem M700 BDL to the Weatherby Vanguard? I'm stuck deciding between the two. Looking at both in .243 Win.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

but how would one compare the Rem M700 BDL to the Weatherby Vanguard? I'm stuck deciding between the two. Looking at both in .243 Win
More gunsmiths have familiarity with the Remington Action and you can more easily customize one. I think the HOWA is more rugged and has the better extractor. Lots of differences on paper that would make one lean towards the Howa/Vanguard but in real life hunting conditions not sure how much of a difference they really make . You can do as I do and buy them and try them out and if you don't like them get rid of them. I like all 3 of the rifles discussed in this thread each one has its pros and cons.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the response. I own a M700 BDL in .22-250 and it's extreamly accurate soI was considering another one. I see the Vanguard is less $$ so thought I would give that a try. Still undecided but leaning toward the Vanguard to add something new to the collection.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:17 AM

Ido not think that the Ruger M77-MK II isa bad rifle at all , quite the opposite. I think it's an extremely rugged, reliable rifle that represents an extremely good buy in today's market. They generally feed very well, and the scope mounting system is excellent. I would much rather have a Ruger than most other factory rifles, and I'vesaid that if you own an accurate Ruger, you own a good gun. Some Rugers don't shoot all that well out of the box, but bedding, loads, and trigger work helps many of them live up to their potential -- the same stuff you'll have to do to many factory rifles.

I think its important to remember that a good hunting rifle possesses many traits. Accuracy, while important, must also be coupled with dependability and ruggedness.I like the way the Ruger is constructed, i.e., with a few wellproportioned steel parts. Acceptable hunting accuracy, rugged, dependable, at a reasonable price. Pretty hard to beat.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just went to a shop in the area to take a look at the Vanguards. They didn't have any. They only had Mark V. I will have to go a little further away to see one.

I did get to see a kimber though. Wow is that a nice gun. They don't have a model with a wood stock and stainless barrel though. They also don't use the 300 Win Mag. I found that to be quite strange.

Tom
Old 06-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm in total agreement with everything elkhunter said.

IMHO I would much prefer to have a Weatherby vanguard or Howa (same rifle) over a ruger any day.

I will also add that nearly every Ruger (bolt action) firing pin will strike the primer off center. It is preferable to have the firing pin to strike dead center of the primer. Some say that when the firing pin strikes off center you get irradic primer ignition.

I'm also not a big fan of the angled front action screw.

Quick Reply: Ruger Mark II Sporter Issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.