Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Iowa proposed season, .24 cal and up

Old 06-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Iowa proposed season, .24 cal and up

Iowa is looking at going to a rifle season, 1 week next January, for does due to its large deer population. I was surprised to see that, as the state had been a shotgun & bow state forever. They got a little progressive 3 years ago and added a pistol season. As a kid, I never saw a deer. Now I see a new dead one along the roadside every day. Some state parks were redesignated so they could be hunted. Deer were starving.

The DNR is also proposing an added 3 shotgun days around thanksgiving. Bowhunters said they had safety concerns. Me, too. I don't want any shotgun hunters pulling any arrows out of their tail end.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Iowa proposed season, .24 cal and up

In Michigan below 57 is shotgun and above 57 is rifle. It is a proven fact that rifle zones are safer than shotgun zones. People using rifles know they can kill someone 5 miles away when most people shooting shotguns think it won't go very far.

Your biggest problem will be people not paying close enough attention and shooting button bucks thinking they are does. Thats one of the biggest problems here. The DNR hands out doe permits like candy bars and all the button bucks get shot. On top of that it the buck has less then 3" spikes you have to use a doe permit. I think that is retarded. If people had to start tagging button bucks with their buck tags they will look at the head closer and we would have more bucks running around.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Even though I have a 270 I would love to use on our Iowa deer, I think high powers in our state is a very bad idea. The reason I quit shotgun deer hunting is because of the idiots out there shooting anything that moves. Now they can shoot farther? No thanks!! I'll stick to my muzzleloader and bow. If there's a Thanksgiving time gun season, I'll just stay home and eat more turkey while I watch football. Call me scared or call me smart, but you won't call me dead. Jim
Old 06-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

2eagles, you do what is right for you. Enjoy the turkey and good hunting.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 AM

I live in Iowa I don't deer hunt however maybe a good idea here would be a no driving stand only hunting requirements for rifle deer hunting in Iowa. This way you aviod some of the cowboy crazy methods of some of the shotgunning deer hunters around here. just my 2 cents
Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife just told me about this. She was told that it had actually been approved. It will be limited to the lower two tiers of counties in southern Iowa only.

Mike