Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

boyd's gunstocks

Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM

Default RE: boyd's gunstocks

I have recent experience with a Boyd's stock. I recently re-built an old, mis-matching Yugoslav M48 military "Mauser" into a sporter, using the original barreled action...and a Boyd's JRS laminate stock. The inletting was nearly perfect (a virtual drop-in) - only requiring a wee bit of wood removal in the barrel channel, to clear the rear sight sleeve on the barrel... and just a bit at the tang area, for clearance of the bolt shroud. If I had not retained the iron sights on this rifle, absolutely NO inletting work (other than the tang area) would have been needed. The surface of the stock was sanded to 100 grit...just as stated on Boyd's website, with no defects. Altogether, it was easy to finish the stock project. I would recommend the Boyd's stock as a quality product.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Default RE: boyd's gunstocks

I did a savage 111 in 223 two winters ago. It went well, but I had to do a bit of work on the barrel end due to what they had in stock. It is a gray laminate varmitter. It had the vented fore end. I wouldn't due that next time (It made the barrel bedding tool dig in hard in spots)and I don't think that it does much for barrel cooling. It came rough sanded and it fit well, but it was important to have an ideal fit. So short of pillar block bedding, I used brownell's accu glass gel kit. It worked well and I am extremely happy with the accuracy that I get out of this heavy barrelled prairie dog gun.

My friends have several savage actions which they have already started to talk of having rebarreled and stocked due to the results of my savage.

It was a little work, but I am very satisfied with the results. You might try there fitting service.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 AM
Spike

Thumbs down boyd's gunstock nightmare

If you order everything right and don't need to return anything or change anything you might be alright. I accidentally ordered the wrong stock and what a nightmare. First off you will have to pay 15% more. Second you can not email or call these people. Very,very poor communication. Customer service is the worse on the planet. Third you will have to modify the stock when you get it. They machine it close and you must do the rest to get your gun to fit. Keep the stock you have. Save your money.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by randers
If you order everything right and don't need to return anything or change anything you might be alright. I accidentally ordered the wrong stock and what a nightmare. First off you will have to pay 15% more. Second you can not email or call these people. Very,very poor communication. Customer service is the worse on the planet. Third you will have to modify the stock when you get it. They machine it close and you must do the rest to get your gun to fit. Keep the stock you have. Save your money.
Seems like you're digging up old threads about Boyd's stocks just to bash them. This thread is ~9yrs old, the other one you posted on today was 12yrs old... Both of these posts making up your only two posts to this forum.

I can say that I have not had the same experience with Boyd's customer service. Yes, if you ordered the wrong stock, there is a restocking fee for exchanges, and they will not replace it if you have altered the stock in any way. That's on you for ordering the wrong stock. I have contacted them with questions to ensure I received the right stock for my application, even negotiated a "you're telling me this fits, if it doesn't, you foot the shipping bill" agreement with them. Wasn't an issue, since they were right, it fit.

It is also intentional that they ship stocks with the inlet at minimum tolerance. There's nothing you can do with a stock if it's too loose, can't put wood back on. But ANYONE can run sandpaper. This is a common practice in the stock making industry.

Here's a snippet from boyd's page:

Definitions of BOYDS' Finished, Unfinished and Semi-Inlet Stocks

(FINISHED)

Factory fit and finished references stocks that have been 100% fit and sanded to our house action, then finished with one of Boyds' superior finishes. Factory Fit stocks can be pulled from the box and bolted to your firearm with no fitting; however, on occasion, sight variations of individual guns may occur, requiring slight fitting that a novice should be able to perform. Please consult a competent and qualified gunsmith if you need assistance. A competent and qualified gunsmith is defined as a person who, at a minimum, works for your firearm manufacturers warranty or service center OR a person who has had 10 years or more of gunstock installation experience and has graduated from a gunsmith college with at least a two-year Associate Arts & Science (A.A.S.) degree in gunsmithing.

House Actions

House actions refer to the steel we use to fit and finish our gunstocks. It is quite common to find variations in the metal of like firearms. Therefore, for our fitting purposes, we try to choose the metal smallest in size to help assist in machining a product that is aesthetically appealing on all receivers. When machining barrel channels, unless stated otherwise, we will use the manufacturer's standard sporter barrel. When machining Mauser actions, Boyds' will typically use a #1 contour barrel.

So both of these paragraphs mention that they cut the inlets to a "minimum specification".

This is also a snippet from their Returns section of their "Policies" link...

Please inspect product within 10 days of receipt to insure that you have received the proper stock and that it is free from defects. Natural cosmetic imperfections such as minor knots, burls, heartwood, mineral lines or minor cosmetic fill work are not considered a defect and will be subject to the 12% restocking fee. Factory seconds are purchased as is and cannot be returned. If you receive the wrong stock please call customer service. If for any other reason a return is required, a 12% restocking fee will be imposed and shipping fees will not be reimbursed. Alterations to your stock and/or forend of any kind, will void any and all warranty and the return of your part will not be allowed. Proof of purchase must accompany all returns.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by randers

Not my experience with Boyds. The barrel & action dropped in no sanding or dremel work necessary. Anytime I called I also got my questions answered.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boyds is an very good company to deal with and they have a good product for a reasonable price. This is just another dreaded first time poster who just came on and brought up very old threads to diss a company where everything he mentions was his own fault!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-02-2014 at 06:49 AM.