Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ok all you 6mm guru's I have a ?

Old 06-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok all you 6mm guru's I have a ?

Heres what one guy says about the ppc.

6mm PPC
Chances are the 6mm PPC has never killed a single deer, and it most definitely ranks near the bottom of the heap among varmint hunters. It doesn’t shoot as flat as a banjo string, and it doesn’t deliver gobs of energy downrange, make a lot of noise, or pound one’s shoulder to a pulp. The 6mm PPC is anything but cheap to shoot; last time I looked, cases were selling at 75 cents each, and they still had to be fine-tuned before being used. Even though Americans Lou Palmisano and Ferris Pindell created the little cartridge, it is foreign to most American shooters. On top of all that, while the 6mm PPC has been around for over 20 years not a single American ammo manufacturer has chosen to load it. What the 6mm PPC has done and continues to do is break more world accuracy records in registered benchrest shooting than any other cartridge, and it shows no sign of slowing down. When firearms correspondents of the future write about such things, the 6mm PPC will be mentioned most often as the accuracy cartridge of the 20th century.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the "Handloader's Digest/1996" There is a article "The 6mm PPC In The Field" by Sam Fadala, who states, "The most accurate cartridge in the world is the 6mm PPC." Good luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Spike

I think it sounds like a super deal. The only drawback to the 6mm PPC is cost of brass. It ain't cheap. But then again it is an accuracy cartridge, not a barn burner, so the brass should last a long time, as well as the barrel. I remember when it was first introduced and Rick Jamison of Shooting Times Magazine proclaimed it to be the most accurate factory rifle and ammo he had ever tested. (Of course, it was a Sako rifle with Sako factory ammo, so I am not sure just how "factory" it was, if you get my drift). Midway wants $64.99 for a box of 100 Lapua .220 Russian cases which can be necked up for the 6mm PPC. Probably time consuming and expensive, but from what I have read, the accuracy potential borders on unbelievable. Ed Matunas reported firing "8 different 10 shot groups at 100 yards with a Sako single shot rifle and Sako factory ammo, all small, ragged holes of 1/4" or smaller." He then claimed that some his reloaded cases provided groups half that size. (Straight from the Nosler Reloading Guide 5th Edition, Page 115).
If you decide you don't want it, let me know. If your buddy offers me the same deal, color it sold.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

The only Ruger's I have owned have been number 1's.
I stopped at a gun store yesterday here in MI and they had a used Ruger #1 w/ heavy bbl. in 6mm PPC. I'd say 75 - 80% condition. They said it's a real tack driver but it could use some cosmetic work.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Well I went and shot it this morning. The best five shot group I got at 100 yards was just over 3/4". But, I suspect playing with the load and bullet might change that. These were just thrown together yesterday, and are basically starter loads. The trigger seemed a little rough to me, considering it is a target rifle. It broke at 4 1/2 pounds, but was very rough. If it was smooth, it would have been ok.

I have not made a decision. I told him to put it on the shelf and I would think about it. If I decide I want it, and he still has it, I'll buy it. But it certainly didn't blow my skirt up. I really thought I would like the Ruger better than that.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:35 PM

I'd tell a lot of lies to git it off'n my hands too.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-12-2005, 11:33 AM

You could spend a little money on this gun and upgrade it to something a little more practical for field use. As it is, the 6MM PPC is a paper punching - maybe prairie dog killing - rifle. It usually comes with a 1:14 twist, which is good for bullets up to maybe 85 grains. It also has a .445 bolt face, which is in between the .243 and the standard .223 bolt. I would think for around $125, you could get it converted to something like .243 or 6MM Remington. Or maybe a 6MM-284. But now you would have $625 in the gun - and for that, you could just buy a Ruger 77V in .243 . . . .
Old 06-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

A 6MMPPC that shoots 100 grain bullets is possible but rare. The 6MMPPC has a 1 in 14 twist compared to 1 in10 for the 243 and 6MM Remington. That twist is to slow to stabalize all 100 grain bullets and was the reason that the 244 Rem. (Renamed 6MM REM) failed while the 243 Win was a success. The 6MMPPC is a 243 caliber but uses only about half the powder charge of the 243 casing. Thus the 243 will develope an additional 400-550 fps using the same bullet weight. The PPC was developed for target shooting and makes a good varmit round. The 243 and 6mm Rem as well as the 240 Weatherby were made to be dual purpose varmit/medium game cartridge. I limit the 243 to varmits as well. However thats because I had less than ideal success with the 6's as deer rifles. When that happens you get sour on a cartridge and its hard to change an opinion based on bad expierence. I had problems with it that I have not had with the 25's.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:10 PM

James - I thought the .244 Rem originally had a 1:12 twist.

Quick Reply: Ok all you 6mm guru's I have a ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.