Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Love the Single Action Revolver

Old 06-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Love the Single Action Revolver

I see lots of pitches for autos on the board, so I will be an old goat here and say why the SA revolver is so much fun. I have had a Colt and a couple Rugers, and right now have a .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk, best guess about 4 years old now. I go for "biscuit" shooters.

What I appreciate about them is that no matter what load I put in them, they are so easy to shoot. The natural-round at the top of the grip allows the piece to rock back naturally while I am in the recoil climb. It even puts the hammer down closer to pull. This is a no-pain sporting arm (at least with ear plugs!) and just a bunch of fun.

(Awful sorry I sold the Colt, though!)
Old 06-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Love the Single Action Revolver

I love them too. I have had a lot of them. Lots of fun. Good hunting tool as well.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in kinda an auto mode currently but always return to those classic SA's. Can't get enuff of them. Here's one of my favorites.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:11 PM

I like the Ruger Blackhawks, but I especially like the one above, a Bisley Blackhawk,
5-1/2", 45Colt, Stainless. Haven't seen one locally yet. Might have to trade something
if I do []
Old 06-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I love shooting S/A's.There is just something about them makes them enjoyable to shoot.Never owned a Colt SAA but have or had my fair share of Ruger's.My favorite has to be the Ruger SBH or the BH in 45Colt.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Virginia7

I like the Ruger Blackhawks, but I especially like the one above, a Bisley Blackhawk,
5-1/2", 45Colt, Stainless. Haven't seen one locally yet. Might have to trade something
if I do []

Yup it's a 45Colt but also have another one in 45LC and one each in .41mag, .44mag and a .45lc/45ACP convertable all tucked away for safe keeping. They are of course anxiously awaiting the arrival of the .357 bretheren which will be arriving - I'm told _ sometime early '06. (got 2 on hold when they arrive) There's a .41 mag one for sale over on Ruger Forum and I thought some 45 convertables were still listed on GunBroker.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

if I do []

Yup it's a 45Colt but also have another one in 45LC

Maine Shooter
45 Coltis correct. 45LC is incorrect . There is no such animal as a 45 Long Colt.I know you see manufacturers listing it as 45LC.I'm sure Frizzellr will add his .02.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-07-2005, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

if I do []

Yup it's a 45Colt but also have another one in 45LC and one each in .41mag, .44mag and a .45lc/45ACP convertable all tucked away for safe keeping. They are of course anxiously awaiting the arrival of the .357 bretheren which will be arriving - I'm told _ sometime early '06. (got 2 on hold when they arrive) There's a .41 mag one for sale over on Ruger Forum and I thought some 45 convertables were still listed on GunBroker.
Hey, Maine, now that's just down right mean! (ha,ha). I'm on a tight budget right now, and there you go braggin 'bout all them you got "tucked away".
Color me envious [:'(]
Old 06-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just pulled one out of the safe the other day I had almost forgotten about .It is an old J.P.Sauer and Sohn "Chief Marshal" in .45 colt.Has the case hardened frame and the blueing is a different shade than your run of the mill blue kinda lighter and brighter if you know what I mean. I always loved the looks of this gun.Gave $159 for it at a little country store in Charlottesville Va. in 1979. Then paid about twice as much for a hand made Quick draw holster at a Tandy leather shop.Go figure.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

Maine Shooter
45 Coltis correct. 45LC is incorrect . There is no such animal as a 45 Long Colt.I know you see manufacturers listing it as 45LC.I'm sure Frizzellr will add his .02.

Ruger Redhawk

"Having a couple of well known friends, two in fact that all readers would know by name, that simply go ballistic with the mention of .45 Long Colt, I had to tweak them a little as I had the chance. So this is one sixgun that is not marked .45 COLT but .45 LONG COLT. Their argument is that there never was a cartridge designated the Long Colt. I agree. The frontier army was armed with both Colt Single Actions chambered for the .45 Colt and the Smith & Wesson Schofield chambered for the shorter .45 Smith & Wesson. The latter could also be used in the Colt sixgun hence two .45's were available, a long and a short. In modern times the erroneous use of .45 Long Colt does preclude any confusion and mix-up between .45 ACP and .45 Colt. The Colt Single Action Army was designated at the factory as the Model P but never officially known as the Peacemaker. However, that term is widely accepted. Who can figure? [6]

I'm all for pedantry, but most (all?) firearms chambered for the .45 Colt are meant to capture the feel of the late 1800s. With that in mind, calling it (verbally) the .45 Long Colt seems defendable."

Just as most say 'caliber" when they mean "cartridge".

Hey, Maine, now that's just down right mean! (ha,ha). I'm on a tight budget right now, and there you go braggin 'bout all them you got "tucked away".
Color me envious
Sorry. but did I mention the 2 .357 ones I'm got my name on. One to shoot as I've got no SA in that chambering and the other of course to tuck away with the rest. eems that when each model came out they were able to be had for $420 but soon afterwards are commanding much higher prices. I"ve seen ones in .41 go as high as $625+. That's nuts![&:]

Quick Reply: Love the Single Action Revolver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.