Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Installing open sights

Old 05-26-2005, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Installing open sights

I'm thinking about buying a cheap rifle -- Mossberg ATR -- and installing open sights on the rifle. My use for this rifle is for those days when the weather is wet and I don't want to take out my handsome walnut stocked rifles. I want the rifle to be cheap, and that includes not spending a bunch of money on a scope. Buying a cheap scope, however, seems a recipe for fogged lenses on a rainey day -- the planned use scenario. Can open sights be installed on a rifle by a gun smith without costing an arm and a leg?

I have also thought about picking up a beat-up rifle in a pawn shop or shooting range, old military surplus rifle such as a .303 for example. The right rifle just hasn't materialized yet.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Installing open sights

Alsatian,
I'm not sure of your definition of cheap but I'd sure consider a Savage Weather warrior and an Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 with rainguard(175.00) and have something that will really work for those rainy days. The whole setup should run right at 600.00. In regards to the Mossberg, I'm sorry but it's junk! I don't think you'd be happy with it at all. I do my own sight installs but i would think that depending on what sights you buy, you're looking at between 60-100 dollars for the job and the sights. BTW I don't work for Savage or Bushnell.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Listen to Swapman, good advice!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

$600 is too high for a rainy day rifle. I hear you, though, on the subject of the Mossberg ATR. I guess I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap pawn shop rifle or rifle range rifle -- a British .303, a surplus mauser, or better some .30-06 surplus.

In three years of deer season I have been rained out 1.5 days. Not a big issue, so I don't want to invest much in this rifle.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:47 AM

Alsatian,
I understand. Good luck. My suggestion would be the local newspaper. Pawnshops used to be a good place to pick up a rifle cheap, but they've gotten as bad as some gun shops these days. All the old surplus military rifles are in demand for customs because of the state of manufacturing these days. Maybe a Savage package rifle. The scope is garbage but the Whole package can be had for under 400 at your local Wally world.