Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

break in of barrel

Old 05-27-2005, 01:03 AM

Default RE: break in of barrel

i just picked up that foaming bore cleaner stuff, and it worked wonders. the stuff turns blue if there is any copper present. so you let it sit for 30 minutes, i came back and there was a lot more copper in my barrel then i had thought.
the stuff is great. i then put it on an old and worn out penny, came back 10 minutes later and it was as shiny as a brand new penny.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

i use wipe out too. The original foam cleaner. Not good for breakin. cause you have to leave it in almost all night to get out all copper.

But for a cleaner, really nice.

Old 05-28-2005, 04:23 PM

One thing I should have mentioned in this thread earlier . . . for break in, particularly the first ten shots, use a bullet with the longest bearing surface you can find. Even if the twist of the barrel won't stabilize it. I like the 70 grain Speer roundnose for .224, 160 Roundnose for .270, 175 Roundnose for 7MM, etc. And it really isn't necessary to load these break in rounds to full throttle, either. Roskoe
Old 07-03-2005, 04:10 PM

By not breaking it in you have ruined the gun,but because I am a nice guy I will give you $100 for the gun.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

I only shoot factory guns because I don't own any custom guns.I have tried the break in but don't know if it worked because I don't know how it would shoot if I hadn't have did the break in.But if it works for you I would do it.
This is what I have done the last few years when I get a new gun .I use JB and work it at least 200 strokes and it gets it pretty clean.And so far it has worked pretty good for me because the guns shoot pretty good.Use this same method on muzzleloaders also.
If I bought a high priced barrel and they reckomended a break in method,would I do it ? you right I would custom barrels cost a lot of money and I would want to follow their instructions to the letter.I have been shooting since the 1940's but I am sure the barrel manufactors know more about their barrels than I do.So I would take their word for it.
If any of you want a very strong cleaner try some of the new 50 BMG from Montana.I have been trying it this past month and it sure does clean and fast.