Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

break in of barrel

Old 05-26-2005, 01:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: break in of barrel

From right to left (dirtiest to the cleanest). first patch on the right is brand new. I assume this is thier test shots from factory 5 rounds. Every one after that is 3 shots clean and is the first patch I used with sweets.

It would take alot of patches with shooters choice to clean that out.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Agreed. Probably 20 or more. When I take a clean barrel (during break-in) and fire just one shot through it, though; I can usually go from what your worst patch looks like to a fairly clean patch in just four patches - with Shooter's Choice and after having run ten strokes of a wet brass brush first. This is with a Krieger, Hart, or Lilja barrel - and not too violent of a caliber.

In most of my personal guns I use Sweet's at some point during the cleaning process just to speed things up - usually clean about every 50 rounds (after initial break-in). My .25-06 AI has got to have the CR-10 to get it clean - or it might take a month - and a little JB paste doesn't hurt either. Shoots good, though. On the other hand, I have a rifle with a Krieger barrel and another with a Jeff Lawrence barrel that just don't build much copper. Don't use anything but Shooter's Choice on these two - but only because I don't have to.

Just don't do like a buddy of mine . . . cleaning his pet .300 Win Mag with Sweet's one winter evening . . ex-wife calls. Has to drop everything and go to her house to sort out a four alarm domestic issue. The next evening he remembers the rifle. Too late. Pitted barrel.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:01 PM

i shot 40 through at once and never has it looked like that..that is very dirty..

btw.. isnt there that foaming stuff that dissolves copper like crazy? what is that stuff... would that work then i could just start the process over?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
bigcountry

Well pdough, it is a 7mmSTW and it depends on what cleaner you are using. I use an ammonia based cleaner that shows copper up by the blue residue. If you use junk like Hoppes, you won't ever see it. And never get out the copper.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:31 PM

i use the rem oil stuff. is there anything better?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've said it before and I'll say it again...........barrel break-in is a waste of MY time. That's just based on my own experience doing it to a few rifles.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes PD, Hoppe's #9 oil. It's a natural oil.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:38 PM

If you use junk like Hoppes, you won't ever see it. And never get out the copper.
big country just said hoppes was junk
Old 05-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pdoughertyMU

If you use junk like Hoppes, you won't ever see it. And never get out the copper.
HE'S TALKING ABOUT A BORE CLEANER, NOT A LUBRICANT!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:00 PM
bigcountry

I guess junk is a strong word. It doesn't remove copper much at all. And in breakin thats what your doing.

Quick Reply: break in of barrel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.