Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

break in of barrel

Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: break in of barrel

Listen I do it. And will tell ya it only makes a difference to me if it helps fouling. Some guns it doesn't make any difference, some all the difference. You have already shot 60 rounds thru it, so the gun is pretty broken in already. I don't think its going to make a difference now. If the gun doesn't copper foul too bad, don't sweat it.

I think sako and Tikka say there is no reason to break thier's in. But I found out it helps some.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 PM

Rebel Hog - I have heard of some similar techniques in the past. I think one of them used GM Top Engine Lubricant. Many years ago, there was a break-in method that basically called for wet patch/dry patch; every shot for 50 rounds, that produced some very good shooting rifles. Be careful shooting a round through a barrel that has oil in it, though. Can really drive pressures up with full throttle loads.

All I know is that these premium rifle barrels are fairly expensive, and I want to do everything I can to make them shoot well. So I follow the manufacturer's recommendations on break-in. And they are suprisingly similar. I don't do the full break-in deal for a customer unless they request it and are willing to pay shop time, but I always put two or three rounds through a gun before delivery and clean between shots.

"Cleaning" usually consists of a wet patch of Shooter's Choice, ten strokes of a brass brush wet in Shooter's Choice (using a bore guide), and then however many wet patches it takes until they come out clean - usually only three or four with a good quality barrel. Finally a dry patch - fire again, repeat as needed . . .
Old 05-25-2005, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks,Roskoe!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:41 PM

i just got off the phone with a Beretta tech, and he basically said that that is a load of crap, and i quote..."people have written articles about it, and im sure it wouldn't hurt, but they just like to see their name in print. I've never broken in a barrel before"

i feel a lot better about it now that a trained gun tech from one of the most prestigious gun companies in the world says this.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 PM

pdoughertyMU,
Not sure I'd feel too good about that answer. Sounds more like CYA than knowledge. A lot a shooters and Gunsmiths that are a lot more knowledgeable than me will tell you differently. Also, with all the experienced guys that shared their opinion with you on here, I think calling it"a load of crap" is really inappropriate.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:28 PM
bigcountry

Yea I think I would tell the gun tech he is full of crap. Instead of advise and calling all over the place find out for yourself. Take your chonograph and measure the spreads and deviations while breaking in. See for yourself the copper fouling. People take advise from the internet way too far.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry, when you mentioned that you found it helped some for the Sako and Tikka rifles, did you go thru all that trouble for your Sako to break it in?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
bigcountry

Yep. Saw fouling go to almost nothing and this is with 160gr flying over 3100fps. Saw velocity spreads go from 60fps to 20fps. Something is happening.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I’m asking is that I haven’t done anything with my yet and wanted to see if I should bother but you answered my question. Now for the tedious work. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:34 PM
bigcountry

Well, in Sakos defense it was the easiest barrel I ever broke in. Could you do the same by shooting 40-60 rounds thru cleaning every 20 rounds? Maybe? I know I didn't hurt anything doing it.

Quick Reply: break in of barrel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.