Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

Old 09-19-2002, 05:22 AM

Default why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

i have always wanted a 340wthby. saw one on the used rack last night. weatherby mark V with muzzle break and a 24" barrel.
but after seeing how the ammo was per box my dream was squashed! $35.99 a box. do other ammo manufactuer's make ammo for weatherby?

Old 09-19-2002, 05:53 AM

Default RE: why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

Other manufacturers do make ammo but its the caliber that makes things difficult. Most make the 300 WBY but not many make the 340 or 7 mm. Something to keep in mind if your buying a weatherby. You can save a few bucks if you already handload, I don't and the ammo up here is almost $50 US. What I don't understand and it may be pure marketing, is the ballistics for Weatherby/Norma manufactured ammo is better than ammo manufactured by companies like Federal or Remington. Your best bet for ammo is Federal. I believe they make 340 Wby also.

Goodluck,
Old 09-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quilly...they use Norma brass is one reason whey it is so high. Actually 35.00 a box is cheap for Weatherby ammo must have been loaded with Hornady bullets...the regular stuff is in the 40-50 dollar range unless you go to the real big boomers. The ammo is loaded stiffer than the stuff Remington and Federal load because they Norma does not adhere to SAAMI Specs. The ammo especially the Nosler partition load has always been much more accurate than Remington or Federal ammo.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest reason is the name on the box.If you will spend the extra money to buy a weatherby rifle you will spend the extra money to buy their ammunition.This is one reason that I now avoid weatherby altogether.I have owned two of their rifles but found that they didn't shoot any better than my 700's which cost a lot less.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 09/19/2002 08:06:00
Old 09-19-2002, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Weatherby stuff in general is too expensive, and it's because there are people out there who are willing to pay exorbitant prices for things that are touted as somehow "better"!! But, if you think Weatherby ammo is expensive, price some of the Dakota ammo!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 09-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, $35 ain't too bad for .340 WBY. If you look at Federal Premium in .338 Win Mag you might be looking in the $40+ range, too. I bought a Weatherby Vanguard (.300WbyMag) at Wal-Mart for $388 and I reload so the Weatherby hasn't been bad on my wallet. I know you can get .300Wby in Remington green box - don't know about .340, though. Look in a Cabela's shooting catalog and you'll find more options than your local gun shop has.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-19-2002, 03:46 PM

Weatherby ammo where I live run from $35 to almost $80 a box!!! What a rip-off. And their guns. Big price tag for such an ugly weapon. However, they do shoot great! Then again, so does a Savage and it's half the price of a Weatherby. Go figure.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:09 PM

i would love to get it but the way i shoot it would end up being a gun i would use not enough to own.
why is it that weatherby does not go by SAAMI rules? i would think they would have to, to be sold in the states if NORMA ammo is made out of the country.
340WBYMAG...

hows the kick on your 340?

Old 09-19-2002, 06:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to go fast, you have to pay for it. If you were to spend $50 grand on a Corvette, you wouldn't fill it up with cheap low octane gas from a noname gas station to save a few bucks would you?
Same thing with Weatherby, its a premium rifle and they have their own premium loads for it. You sure wouldn't want to shoot substandard or low quality ammo through a rifle that costs several times as much as an ordinary rifle if you bought it for performance. The company has cornered the market for their premium ammo, they can pretty much charge whatever they want as they are the only kid on the block.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?

Quick Reply: why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.