Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

Old 09-20-2002, 06:43 PM

Default RE: why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

i am in no need for a 340wthby.i am also not going to buy one. just talking gun talk.even though i do like the " odd ball " chamberings.

Old 09-21-2002, 12:51 AM
bigcountry

Boltman, maybe you can share your findings and measurements with us. With your "as matter fact" statement, surely you have done some measurements and maybe wieghed the brass or something. Nobody but a sucker in would ever make a statement like that without something to back it. I have never owned a Weatherby or shoot there ammo so I am biased as that is concered, but do reload alot for friends with them. Brass if first class. Norma powder is great powder. Most weatherby ammo offers only premium bonded bullets. So what do you got for us?

Old 09-21-2002, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually weatherby offers several loadings for their line of cartridges.The cheaper loads use hornady bullets which are certainly not premiums.They do cost significantly more than other manufacturers charge for their loads with cheaper bullets.The weatherby loadings with partitions cost a great deal more and once again are more expensive than premium offerings from federal or others.The price for a box of 300ultra mag loads with partitions is $50 here in canada.Weatherby 300 with partition bullets runs $75 at the same store for a difference of 50%.A little of that difference may be for better brass but most of it is for the weatherby name.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:11 AM

I think it is because Norma uses very tight tolerances on there brass. Many benchrest shooters swear by it. I have a small box of Norma brass for my 308 win and I must say that this brass holds up much better then does Remington or Winchester brass as far as reloading is concerned. Example : The primer pockets are very uniform as well as case wall thickness.

Hornet Man

Hornet Man
Old 09-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my 340 Wby. Mag., and will never get rid of it! A 250 Gr. Barnes XFB @ 3060 f/s 5197 f/lb, .408" @ 100 yds. when I do my part. Went to the range today set the scope at 5.3" high at 100 yds., it hits 8" high at 200 yds., it hits 6" high at 300 yds., hits dead on at at 384 yds., hits -8" at 452 yds., and hits -15.5" yds. at 500 yds. Maximum point blank range on an elk is 8", so I am set for my bull elk hunt this comming weekend. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boltman do you have anything to back that statement up? Nope doubt it. I have a 270 weatherby mag in a weatherby Vanguard VGX and it shoots great. Beautiful rifle. I also get great accuracy with factory weatherby ammo. Sub 1 inch groups are the rule at 100 yards. I also get great velocity. These 150 gr sp go 3250 out of my 24 inch barrel. So top accuracy and top velocity adds up to top quality ammo in my book. I am not sure if I will ever reload for this gun do to awesome accuracy but I might try to save some money but if I can't get the same performance as factory weatherby ammo I will be glad to go a buy factory stuff. They are both top quality and fully recommend them to anyone.

brian

Old 09-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

445supermag-If you own a vanguard you really own a howa rifle with the weatherby name on it.Howa built rifles have been sold under many names and I believe them to be as good a product as anything weatherby manufactures for much less money.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:40 AM

I have a 270 weatherby MarkV and it will shoot most 140 grain bullets(handloads)into an inch or better if I am shooting decent. I don't hunt with factory loads but from comparing my handloads with factory it seems that the factory loads are in general very accurate and good performance(feel as hot and carry as well as my handloads). I feel I get just little more accuracy(and a lot of bullet choices) and save some money loading myself. I also just enjoy it as well. Personally I think you get what you pay for both in the rifle and ammo.

Later
Gone_Huntin