Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Flipping Question for the sucessful

Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 PM

Default RE: Flipping Question for the sucessful

One thing I know is when you are missing a lot of bites and they are just nibbles or really light. You can always try using a smaller hook and bait. Usually when they are just barely biting this works to increase your percentage. The down side to this is if your casting it means less weight and less distance. Plus, it increases your likelyhood of getting smaller fish. As far as setting the hook I struggle with the same thing. I usually try to set it hard to secure the hook in the fish, but I still miss a lot that way too. The best time to set the hook is with little slack right at the first sign of a run.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Flipping Question for the sucessful

To be honest with you fiolks I tripled my per centage last week .I only lost one. I've been using a med.heavy lighting rod. I 'm thinking about going to a med.lightening rod. I've been letting them run as long as possible when flipping till the rod tip is about 12" off the water.Then use the wrist only.A pop upward and simply kift.I boated six lost 1.The one I lost had stopped running .I should have played with the fish to get it running again. I think the super stiff rods can also be messing me up. The flemsy rods allow the heavy cows to hook themselves. I don;t even use my flipping rod. Six hours of fishing with that log is to much. I'll let you know how I do Sat. Maybe I was lucky last weekLOL
Chuck