Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Mono or Flourocarbon line

Old 04-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mono or Flourocarbon line

For pure tough line and harsh fish or conditions the only Mono is Trilene XT IMO. The only braided line I have ever truly liked is power pro. I still however find my heavy rigs for large pike and lake trout spooled with XT..I really like mono for my fishing needs as I like using my drag vs the crank n wheel method. For my spinning reels (which equates to walleye,etc and finesse fishing) since my old fave Fenwick Flexline is long gone, I have tried a number and as of the last few years really like the Spider Wire super mono...which probably puts me in the minority here. I have ran it through its paces and it is has work extremely well with a higher break point than many other thin diameter monos. I use super mono in both summer and winter in a variety of lbs. I as well hate leaders and avoid them at all costs.

Any mono or flouro type line should be moistened before tighten the knot, so the friction does not stress and create a weak break point.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Couple things I do that makes life easier and will lower your blood pressure when fishing.

If you've got the time,soak your new spool of line in bowl of water for 3-4 hrs or overnight. Takes alot of initial memory out of line.If you really have some time,trail 100yrds or so of new line(no lure on it) out back of boat. This takes out addt'l memory.

When buying new line open the box and look at it carefully.Run your fingers over it. If it has any chalky type powder film on it - Don't buy it - Its old/outdated.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well skeeter I guess you and I are in the minority here. I've used the Spider super mono in fresh water and the braided line for 10 years on Stripers and Weak fish(Trout). Its a little hard to find around here. When I find it I buy it up and store in cool dark place for couple years. I use a 18-24" in line mono rig on braided line. You can feel a trout sneeze or belch on a bait. On stripers its the best line I've ever used in fast tidal water.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cajun Red is about the lowest vis. line I've ever used. great casting and pretty good strength also. I absolutely LOVE power pro for fishing under docks, carolina rigging, and burning rattle traps. Everything else, I use Cajun Red.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I've read all of the replys.I don't want to be disagreeable but I have Vanish on 3 of my bait casters now.I haven't had a fish break off yet.Cast great and no back lashes. I don't like it on my open face spinning. For those ,I stick with the old Trilene that comes in the red package. Set the drag properly. Once I brought in a 10 foot gator on 10lb.Trilene. If the drag is set right it won't break unless something abrasive rubs against it. The gator would strip off about 20 yds then float as if tuckered out. So I work him in.In about 15 minutes I got him within
10 yds.Then,it's time to cut the line. I only did that twice.I've got a few much smaller ones in the boat.

Chuck