Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

texas rig

Old 04-05-2005, 07:07 PM

Default texas rig

hey i know how to rig the texas rig but not realy how to fish it any help would be great thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:18 PM

Default RE: texas rig

how to fish it? whats there to it? you can texas or texpose rig or texas weightless almost every soft plastic lure on the market and they're fished in every way you can imagine. the sky's the limit on the possibilities you can use the texas rig for. usually i crawl it around cover or with tubes i drag on the bottom or hop off the bottom. pitch them around stumps. rig it weightless and twitch it on the surface...anything will work...

slayer
Old 04-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep, you can fish it all kinds of way. The main thing is to watch your line. Somtimes your line moving or twitching is the only indication there's a fish on there. The traditional way is to throw it out, let it sink to the bottom, get the slack out of the line and then pull the worm off the bottom with the rod tip, then let the worm sink by lowing your rod tip and reeling the slack out at the same time. Then repeat the step. Watch it on the drop, that's where most of the hits occur. You can hop it across the bottom in big hops or several small ones. Try to remember what you were doing when you got a hit and do that again. I'll try all kinds of presentations till I find one that works. One time, me and a buddy of mine were fishing a flat in about 8 foot of water and were not getting our normal hits from that area. After several cast, I threw my worm out, layed my pole down, got a beer out of the cooler and took a sip. When I picked the rod up, I reeled my slack out, pulled the rod tip and got a hit immediately and caught a nice bass. Several cast later with no more hits, I decided to light a cigarrette so I threw my worm out layed my rod down and lit the cigarrette. When I picked the rod up and move the worm, I got a hit instantly. I knew then I was own to something, the next cast I threw the worm out and just sit there for about a minute, when I moved the worm I got a hit. My buddy said "What are you doing?" cause we was fishing with the same thing. After two more fish I told him and then he started catching fish. My point is texas worm fishing is best when you can establish a pattern. I't's my favorite way of bass fishing and I could write on it for hours but you just got to figure it out. My favorite rig is 12 or 14 lb test with 3/16 bullet sinker and a 6" zoom lizard in a pumpkin with chartreaus tail. Night time is black worm with a firetail. Daytime colors will vary by season and time of day. I vary the weight size depending on the wind and how far I got to throw. I always go with the lightest sinker possible. One more thing, until I establish a pattern, I'll work that worm all the way back to the boat to cover several depths. If my boat is sitting in fairly deep water (20') and I'm throwing to the bank, I'll work it back to the boat and then jig it up and down off the bottom under the boat, I've caught some big ones right under the boad, including a 9 pound large mouth and a 7-1/2 pound smallie. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

I use a 7' MH Fast action Mag Bass rod with a Cabelas Prodigy Real and 20 pound Power Pro super braid. The Mr. Twister weighted hooks (size 2 weight) work very well. You can get them at Bass Pro Shops. Throw a Zoom worm on it and find a weed bed 10-15 feed deep, drift casting in the direction you are moving slowly bouncing it off bottom. Lilly pads work well too. You will catch some nice bass fishing this way.

This setup is extreamly weedless and works very well. Most of the bass we catch are around 18" with some 20-23" bass on the lake we fish.

Good Luck
Tom