Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Tip Up: Newbie Question

Old 01-27-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Tip Up: Newbie Question

Greetings. This will be my first year ice fishing. I have a couple of jigging poles... and 2 tip ups. The tip ups look similar to this one: http://www3.sympatico.ca/sconnell/TipUp.jpg

Question: Once a fish nabs my bait...the flag raises...now what? I just run over and manually pull the line up with my hands? That's it?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:50 PM

Default RE: Tip Up: Newbie Question

Slowly pull the tip up out of the water, and take the tip up line in 1 hand, try to feel the fish biting...if it stops biting, jig the bait with your hand a little... when you feel pressure and are ready to set the hook, pull the line as hard and as far as u can and if the fish is still on pull it in hand over hand. Then get ready cause u can never be sure what you're gonna catch. If the fish is still strong u can let him run a few times, and a gaff might be a good idea if you plan on keepin them, because they can be tricky to get out of the hole.

Also remember to check your bait and make sure everything is working properly. One time I went with my friends and didn't get any bites all day until we went to pick up our traps, one of them was broken so the flag didnt go up when a fish was on it. We started to jig in the hole where the broken trap was and caught 10-12 good size perch out of that one hole in about 20 minutes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

ok we set our tips some on bottom and others about 1" off bottom. so they foat around. the pike will take them both ways. when the flag goes up go over to the tip up and if the "T" is spinning sit and wiat for it to stop then pull the tip up out of the water (if your fishing with 2 people give your friend the tip up to hold so when you start pulling line he walks backwards so you lines doesnt get tangled) ok so slowy pull up on the line and feel if there is weight. if thiers weight give it a few seconds to munch down on the bait. then set the hook. and start pulling him up. if the fish wants to run let him. there usaly easy to get up of the hole.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Lots of different opinions. None of them are 100 percent all the time. Lots of time a large laker or northern will grab the bait and swim for a ways and then turn the bait and swallow. I like to wait until it slows or stops before setting the hook. If fishing for large perch I usually set right off. Either they have it or they don't and they won't run that far with it.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:54 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. I will take some pictures of my success (hopefully).