Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Blue Perch!!

Old 01-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blue Perch!!

Looks like a yellow perch to me. Probably a variation in pigment due to water clarity/light conditions at the lake. Was this fish caught through ice? Dark murky/muddy water?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I remember reading about a Blue Pike that was in the perch - walleye family that was in lake erie before it got poluted years ago
My stepday etc use to talk about the blue pike they use to catch( a walleye like you said) pike is just a name givin it ( never saw one)- they lived on lake erie, near the nigara river also.Also heard it was fished commericaly some in the lakes way back.

Seen plenty of odd fish while fishing lake erie etc myself for over 30 yrs in the past-
From tumored[:'(] mutants- to the one my son cought that had 4 little legs in the nigara.
Unless they where arms?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

walleye where called yellow pike & yellow perch -perch- never saw a blue one before[]
Old 01-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a yellow perch to me. Probably a variation in pigment due to water clarity/light conditions at the lake.
Thats my thoughts as well. I have caught several pike, walleye and even a few perch that had different pigmentation based on the water they inhabit. Usually clarity and temperature of the water are the main cuplrits but as well bottom base or vegetation can also cause this slight colour variation. The meat or flesh colour can also be subject to change based on their diet. I have caught pike that are as pink as salmon based on the fresh shrimp diet, meanwhile others are almost yellowish/white based on all the silver bait fish they chum down on.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:58 PM

I don't think it is a habitat thing as I have fished this same lake summer and winter for quite a few years and caught lots of perch out of it and this is the first blue one I have ever seen or heard of. But who knows. I think it is a genetic flaw in pigmentation. I have contacted NYDEC and they are supposed to get back to me. If they tell me anything I will let everyone know.

upstateny
Old 01-19-2005, 12:12 PM

when i used to ice fish perch lake we caught sunfish bluegills and nothern pike they had a real blue color to them neat looking
Old 01-23-2005, 06:27 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I've seen this twice before, both fish came from lake erie. I think one was mounted