Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Losing Fish In The Hole?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Losing Fish In The Hole?

I don't believe a bigger hole is the answer, we all lose a fish once in awhile( but not as often as you) at the hole. I suggest using a gaff or go to a smaller lure.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:11 PM

A larger hole makes it easier to get a larger fish heading up the hole. 15lbs. pike & 8" hole spells trouble.

BEST WISHES
Old 12-03-2004, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think a larger hole is the answer for Hiawtha losing 2lb or so walleye. All it's going to do is cost him more money for a larger auger. You tend to lose more walleye if the hole is too big, as they can turn around in the hole if your tension is set too loose.
15-20 lb pike come out a 8in hole-- no problem.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hia,if your using live minnows for bait,try letting the fish suck on the bait a little longer,use 1 size smaller hook,when you definately feel tension then start pulling up gently.You said you are using trailer hooks.They should help alot.Take your time and he should pop out of the hole like theres no tomorrow
You are using treble hooks right?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't touch your line. Don't touch your fricken line!!Don't touch your God darn Line Allmost the exact words I heard from a very experienced ice fisherman as I was trying to land my biggest walleye through the Ice and he was ready with the gaff.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hia, we talked about how you like to hand balm when frozen water fishing but I think in this case that may be part of the problem. Instead of allowing that fish to strip some line when he hits the bottom of the hole (often the time where they make a few last ditch runs) your are jerking it clean out with them farmer hands of yours. Do yourself a favor just for S&G's buy a ice fishing rod, for them walleyes go with a nice sensitive rod but has some backbone to both set the hook and fight the odd pike you may happen to swangle from your buddy on GWL...lol! Then put on one of your spinning summer reels, set the drag so it will strip when that 2 lb eye does the old "not yet Danny boy" and see what the results are. To coin a line from "Days of Thunder"..."HIS WAY....MY WAY!!!!" I double dog dare you...haha.

Another thing to try is replacing any trebles or standard J's with a good sharp J. I like Gammie's myself (walleyes really like the orange, chart and red..blue and silver work good for finky fish as well). IMUPO they are the sheet for sharpness and driving the hook home.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:59 PM

what i do is if it is a game fish like bass walleye but not a pan fish is go to wal mart buy a big ghaft hook with the nice handle and stuff and when you see that suckers head hook him in the mouth with it and pull him up but when you hook him he won't like it and he will thrash to hold on tight
Old 12-20-2004, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I fish for panfish mostly and hole size can be an issue. When icing crappies a hole that is too large gives them the ability to turn in the hole and old paper mouth usually will tear the hook out. Too small a hole and you hit their head and cause the hook to rip. I usually like either a 5 or 6" hole for the average crappie or sunnie. I use either 3 or 4 pound test on a micro rod with an ice reel but pull them in by hand. You do lose some but most come up pretty well.